Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition Tips for hatching BBS

Tips for hatching BBS

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:52 pm
Mikaila31 Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I'm in Maplewood/oakdale area. I use to hatch these guys just fine using a premix and hatch rate was always great. Then suddenly they stopped hatched awhile ago and I've yet to get them to hatch well since. Does anyone have any tips/tricks beyond salt and water to get them to hatch cuz its not working for me. I've tried bumping the hardness and using tank water with pretty meh results.

thanks!

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:21 am
vl2lx Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I also live in maplewood and I dont seem to have any issues hatching bbs at the moment. I dont know what you've tried so ill just write down whats been working for me so you can have something to compare to. Im currently using the san fransico bay brand bbs and hatch them at 86 degrees. Im not sure how much of a factor the temp is but thats the temp of my growout tank and id just let the bbs bottle float in it. I believe the temperature should be near or above 80 or so for them to hatch properly. I also use pretty strong aeration . It seems to me that the hatched bbs die faster if I turn down aeration. Ive used both untreated city tap water and dechlorinated tap water.

Gl!

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:58 am
Eric N Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Many times the eggs will absorb moisture for whatever reason. This causes them to start to hatch right in your storage container. Now when you attempt to use them for a batch of newly hatched brine shrimp, they have already used some of their energy and cannot fully hatch out. You may have to pick up some fresh eggs. I now store my eggs in the freezer. Good luck.

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:04 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Eric is correct. Eggs must be kept moisture free prior to use and colder they are kept, the better. If the cysts are not viable, throw them out or decap them in bleach, rinse bleach and feed decaps to fry. This is probably reason why many folks who try to hatch brine shrimp quit. They obtain kits with eggs that that are not viable.

Salinity can be measured with hydrometer or electro conductivity or TDS but most of us can just cookbook it. Brine shrimp eggs will hatch in wide range of salinity. It is reported that salt added to hard water is better than salt added to soft water. I have not noticed a difference. It is reported that tap water is equal to tank water. IMO, tank water provides a better hatch ratio.

IMO vigourous aeration that lifts cycsts into water column is better than slow aereation. Temperature is important as is light. BBS swim towards light. A light fixture next to hatching container will often provide a temperature that is close to prefect for hatching BBS. Swimming shrimp are live shrimp. Shrimp without adequate areation or left in dark, sink to bottom of container and many will die.

Send me your email via pm and I will send you a LONG discourse on hatching brine shrimp. Or visit brine shrimp direct's educational pages to learn what is essential for hatching brine shrimp.
Like a complete unknown

Return to Foods and Nutrition