Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition TetraMin vs. Omega One (flakes)

TetraMin vs. Omega One (flakes)

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:37 pm
checkie_check Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Have always and is using TetraMin/Color. Tried Super Color Omega One flakes today.

Want to hear your guys opinion on which one you guys prefer or use.

Also Pros and Cons of each one, since no flake is perfect.

Any recomendation on which kind of flake food is a nice and high quality?

Fish that is eating this stuff will be swordtails, angels, and tetras.
(i do mix it up and feed NLS pellets and frozen food for variety)

Also just a note. Very first time trying any omega brand food, and i just find the chunks in the flakes interesting.

Post Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:44 am
musserjoe User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I use Omega one supercolor pellets as a staple food for my african cichlids. (also feed them some hikari bio gold, nls, krill, plankton, and tubifex worms, for occasional diversity.)

I feed my fry crushed omega one flakes, and when I crush them I usually find a couple little pieces that are rock solid and I remove those and toss them out. I would suspect you would get the same with tetra food.

Just by quickly glancing at the ingredients I would say omega one gives me a great bang for my buck :D

Post Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:13 am
staceynoe Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I use the flakes for them and that too of a very good quality and provide them on time. The quantity that we provide to them must be accurate.

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:06 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Many cichlids will bred on flake only diet. There are blogs, forum threads, etc that denigrate processed fish food for various reasons with each reason an intellectual exercise vs facts based on keeping fish in tanks.

No doubt there are differences in flakes but look closely at what those differences are the differences are most likely result of attempts by manufacturer to create a marketing tool vs creating a flake that is better for fish. If existing flake maintains fish in good health and fish are breeding, then what change in flake is better for fish?

What I find important:
Protein from sources that would be find in natural diet of fish. Percentage of protein.
Lipids or fats from sources found in natural diets of fish. Percentage of lipids.
Vitamin package. Synthetic or man made OK.
Micro nutrient package. Synthetic or man made OK.
Natural flavenoids to enhance color added.
Price

Flakes are an excellent food source because flakes move in water that stimulates fish to attack flake and eat it. This is an advantage over pellets or blocks that float or immeadiately sink to bottom of tank. Storage is excellent compared to live foods or frozen foods meaning flakes are often just as good for fish 3 months later as day package was opened.

When changing flake brands, it may take a few days to a couple of weeks for fish to develop equivalent level of acceptance to new flake. If fish fail to develop an equivalent level of acceptance after two weeks, it is probably time to throw in towel and scratch brand off list of flake food.
Like a complete unknown

Return to Foods and Nutrition