Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition feeding misquito larvae

feeding misquito larvae

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:16 pm
checkie_check Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

there was a bunch of mosquito behind my back yard and i found a sled filled with water and misquito larvae.
so i decided to catch some up and feed them to one of my fish tank to try out some live food :)

i was just wondering if mosquito larvae can carry any diesease with to onto the fish tank/fish?
since i have heard of people actually setting out tubs to catch them for fish food.

i did pour out the water in the sled to kill and stop mosquito from using it as a breeding pool.
and did rinse the mosquito larvae before throwing them into my tank and all was eaten.

Post Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:34 pm
Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

I've never heard of problems from mosquito larvae, and they are a great live food source. You can even freeze their egg rafts (look like a sliver of charcoal) and hatch out new larvae out of season.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Post Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:43 pm
BanjoMinnow User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Vashjir wrote:
I've never heard of problems from mosquito larvae, and they are a great live food source. You can even freeze their egg rafts (look like a sliver of charcoal) and hatch out new larvae out of season.

Haha I can't imagine having mosquitoes flying around my house in December.
"Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security."
- Norman Vincent Peale

Post Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:39 pm
Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

BanjoMinnow wrote:
Vashjir wrote:

Haha I can't imagine having mosquitoes flying around my house in December.

Lol, feed them to your fish before they hatch out into adults.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Post Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:25 am
TuCanSam User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

All seems a bit risky to me.... :wink:

I know a fair amount of my crays grow to big before using them...simple answer is give them away and await new batch....can I bring a bag of Mosquitos to an auction? Assuming I can't give them away.... :D

**Sorry to run away from topic**
It all started with a betta and a bowl...

Post Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:43 am
BanjoMinnow User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

TuCanSam wrote:
All seems a bit risky to me.... :wink:

I know a fair amount of my crays grow to big before using them...simple answer is give them away and await new batch....can I bring a bag of Mosquitos to an auction? Assuming I can't give them away.... :D

**Sorry to run away from topic**

LOL bag of mosquitoes! Hey they do it with crickets! ok ok i'll stop to :D
"Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security."
- Norman Vincent Peale

Post Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:00 am
yenghang5 Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

will it be find.......one of my friend breed betta an he leave bucket outside for misquito to lay egg so he can feed his betta fry.....
breeding some keeper peacock cichlid

Return to Foods and Nutrition