Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition Hatching brine shrimp cysts

Hatching brine shrimp cysts

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:34 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

1. purchase 1 gal clear plastic container at any housewares store
2. get an air pump or drop a line from existing air circuit, will need air line and rigid airline used to deliver air to undergravel plates
3. get a light can be low wattage, incandescant will work but not preferred
4. purchase some pure salt (sodium chloride), pickling salt or 40 lb bag of water softner salt (extra coarse)
purchase brine shrimp cysts (or eggs), buy only from a trusted source that has taken care of eggs, eggs purchased from some sources are not kept properly and will not hatch
5. hard water source
6. small diameter hose or airline

set light up where it will be a few inches away from hatching container, turn light on and leave it on until it burns out, then replace it
add 1/4 cup salt to container
add 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of cysts to container
add water until container is 3/4 to 7/8 full
attach airline to air pump, attach other end of airline to rigid air tubing (about 8-10"), turn the pump on
place rigid air tubing into hatching container, if air bubbles are causing water and cysts to come out of hatching container opening, a valve will be needed to reduce air flow
wait 18-24 hours for cysts to hatch
remove airline, move hatching container away from light
wait 5-10 min for shells to seperate (shells will float to top, never feed shells)
after 10 min, live baby brine will stop swimming and sink to bottom
siphon out live baby brine to another container, avoid siphoning out any shells

at this point baby brine can be feed to many fish even with high amounts of salt in water, a plus to this type of feeding is that if fish do not ingest baby brine, the salt is enough to keep baby brine swimming for hours, down side is swimming baby brine are using up food stores that we want fish to eat
OR
siphoned water with live baby brine may be poured through a brine shimp net, the net will harvest baby brine and salt water will be drained away, feed baby brine in net to fish

Rinse hatching container and start process over again
Like a complete unknown

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:10 am
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Or you can just do it this way, http://www.jehmco.com/html/brine_shrimp_hatcheries.html. You'll get more consistent hatchouts with a dedicated device, in my opinion. I would also add a small 25W heater so that I pull the best quality shrimp, about 20 hours after I start the culture, both in the Summer and the Winter.

Willie

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:27 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Using equipment built with V shape and stopcocks to harvest hatched shrimp is convient and may increase hatch rate ???
However there are more important factors to hatching cysts.
1. Cysts must be stored correctly until hatch is attempted
2. Oxygenation during hatching
3. Water salinity
4. Light source
5. Temperature

Keeping these factors consistent will result in a consitent hatch.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:38 pm
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Didn't say anything about better hatch rate, only consistency. Jury rigged set ups can fall over, can spill if not on a firm footing, etc. I've played with 1 gal jugs for quite a while before springing for a dedicated unit. Everything else being equal, a dedicated system allows for better control.

Willie

Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 am
Tvadna Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

It can be done on the cheap and easy

You can pretty much see how I do it in the photo

Here is what you need.

$1.50 2liter pop bottle: cut in half. top half inverted into the bottom half so its cone shaped (can fill bottom with gravel to make sturdy)
$8.00 Airline tubing/pump: Aeration for the mixture
$0.05 Paper Clamp: holds airline tubing to the bottle
$6.00 Clamp on shop light: provides heat
TOTAL: $14.55

Salt/water/bring shrimp eggs

About 24hrs later use a turkey baster to suck up hatched shrimp from bottom of the 2liter funnel and feed

Return to Foods and Nutrition