Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition Catching and keeping night crawlers

Catching and keeping night crawlers

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:26 pm
BanjoMinnow User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

So,

Last night while on the patio. I noticed I had a ton of nice large earthworms on my patio blocks after a rain. I was thinking to myself hmm man I bet some of my cichlids might enjoy some of those nice tasty treats. I have kept them in the past and have used them for fishing but never for feeding my SA/CA fish. I believe some places sell earthworm dirt/bedding but I am concerned about the earthworms ingesting the bedding and then feeding them to the fish. I am curious if anyone does this and feeds it to there cichlids? Also if you could share any tips for keeping the worms and prepping them for feeding them to your fish.

Thanks,

Banjo
"Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security."
- Norman Vincent Peale

Post Wed May 01, 2013 9:45 am
DiscusAddiction User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

i love using night crawlers, not all the time but once in a while. regaurdless if i get them from the store or underground. They seem to love it.
"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of god, which is why we call it the Present"

Post Wed May 01, 2013 10:48 am
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

I will occasionally feed night crawlers to my discus. They love it.

Willie

Post Wed May 01, 2013 3:01 pm
nbeaver User avatar
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

I pick up worms after it rains and feed them to my fish. It is a fun treat. I keep them in what ever container is at hand with some damp leaf litter off of the ground. Thay last for days.

Post Wed May 01, 2013 6:13 pm
nkambae User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

I culture red worms/compost worms in a couple of tupperware containers in my basement. It is very easy. Google compost worms and you will find a great number of 'how to' and 'buy from us' sites. Just make sure the containers don't get too warm and that they are well ventilated. It's a very cheap and easy method of providing some variety to your fishes' diet.

I got my worms from Speedee Worms in Alexandria:

http://www.speedyworm.com/

stu
Who is John Galt?

Post Wed May 01, 2013 7:31 pm
musserjoe User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I do not know anything about breeding worms, but I do work at a bait shop and can tell you that if you collect worms you can keep them in dirt for a long time by keeping them in the refrigerator.

The cold slows down the worms metabolism, and basically they hibernate until you are ready to use them.

Post Wed May 01, 2013 10:32 pm
BanjoMinnow User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Thanks for all the tips :) shouldnt be a problem tonight catching them they will be nightcrawler ice pops.
"Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security."
- Norman Vincent Peale

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:31 am
vl2lx Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

If I recall correctly, I've read somewhere that said its good to soak the earthworms in a container of cooked oat meal for a few days to rid of all dirt..has anyone tried that? any thoughts?

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:26 pm
BanjoMinnow User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

vl2lx wrote:
If I recall correctly, I've read somewhere that said its good to soak the earthworms in a container of cooked oat meal for a few days to rid of all dirt..has anyone tried that? any thoughts?

I have never heard of that to be honest maybe someone can chime in on this.
- Norman Vincent Peale

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:41 pm
Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

BanjoMinnow wrote:
vl2lx wrote:

I have never heard of that to be honest maybe someone can chime in on this.

You certainly can do that, or even enrich the oatmeal with astaxanthin powder (for color) spirulina, garlic, 'nutritional yeast supplement' or anything else thats good for your fish (also that the worm will eat). "You are what you eat" becomes very true when your body is mostly intestine.
That's not to say a bit of dirt is going to hurt any fish big enough to snack on crawlers.

Its the same principal behind high end escargot which is finished on herbs to impart flavor and clear out any unpleasant flavors from previous meals the snail ate.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:03 pm
vl2lx Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

You certainly can do that, or even enrich the oatmeal with astaxanthin powder (for color) spirulina, garlic, 'nutritional yeast supplement' or anything else thats good for your fish (also that the worm will eat). "You are what you eat" becomes very true when your body is mostly intestine.

I've been contemplating about buying some of those stuff online. Does it have to be a specific kind or brand, or would it be ok to use the pills and powders made for human consumption? Most importantly, would too much of it do any hard to the fishes, and lets say it works and you got a few very vibrant fishes, would that directly mean vibrant offsprings?

Return to Foods and Nutrition