Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition What are you feeding your cichlids?

What are you feeding your cichlids?

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:13 pm
jimithing76 Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

Hi all,

It's been a while but im back and have one tank set up that im really liking. In my 55G I have a pair of caudopunks, pair of yellow calvus, a group of paracyps, and some petricola.

Currently im feeding what I had left over which is a mix of dainchi and NLS cichlid. Im thinking of ordering some more dainichi or NLS and maybe some brine shrimp flake or a spirulina flake.

I figure a little variety might be better than just one food all the time. Thoughts? I have some decapsulated brine shrimp that is still vacuum packed and sealed. Is that ok for juvies or usually only for fry?

thanks

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:02 am
abmcdonald Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

jimithing76 wrote:
I figure a little variety might be better than just one food all the time. Thoughts?

I'm a big fan of variety, but can't make any suggestions based on what you listed. I don't really use any pellets or flakes. I feed a lot of different frozen foods. About once a year I go to Chawks and buy one large pack of everything (blood worms, black worms, brine shrimp, mysis, cyclops, daphnia, can't think of what else) then get home divide up the large packs into smaller portions and vacuum seal what I won't use within a couple weeks.

I also make a batch or two of homemade frozen food each year (again vacuum seal in smaller portions). There are tons of -recipies online along with directions. Mine changes a little each time depending on what strikes my fancy while at the grocery store, but generally include something on the order of (by weight):
-2 parts white ocean fish (cod, etc. whatever's on sale),
-2 parts lean ground beef,
-1 part salmon,
-1 part shrimp,
-1 part mussels,
-1 part spinach,
-1 part kale,
-.5 part beef liver,
-a banana or two,
-a can or two of low sodium V8 juice to help in the blending process,
-knox unflavored gelatin to bind the ingredients.
Everything gets pureed and boiled/cooked, then gelatin is added. Then I scoop the mixture into foil lined baking sheets and stack them in my chest freezer. The next day I cut the food into ~.5 wide strips and vacuum seal what won't be used within a week or two into small portions to store in the freezer. On ocassion I've added multivitamins, crayfish, beef heart (a pain to prepare) and scallops, again whatever looked "good" while I was shopping.

Between Chuck and my homemade stuff I'm not spending that much more on food than I would be if I bought pellets and flakes at a pet store and my fish always seem to be happy (lots of color, activity and breeding in the community tanks).

jimithing76 wrote:
I have some decapsulated brine shrimp that is still vacuum packed and sealed. Is that ok for juvies or usually only for fry?

As for how long it will last, I have no clue. But regarding the "juvies or usually only for fry" question that really depends on the species. I've had adult cyps. at 4 plus inches and adult endler's that ate decap brine shrimp eggs for me, but I doubt my 2.5 inch juvenile bocourtti would have any interest. It just comes down to what nature has designed that fish to eat, big food or small food.

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:03 pm
ApistoChris User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I use xtreme aquatic foods and omega one cichlids flake to feed my cichlids

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:01 pm
jimithing76 Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

Good call on the frozen stuff. I forgot Chuck sells that and he's very close to my work. I'll probably get some of that and a pellet and use that combo for a while.

Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:53 am
fasttalon94 User avatar
Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

i now use extreme as well, i was using the stuff passionfish was selling but they changed their recipe and the stuff stinks up your house now. Can't have that!

I still have a 1/2 gallon of the stuff that I use to feed my pond fish in the summer but every time I open that container...Whew!
If you don't put a location in your for sale ad that must mean you're willing to deliver.

Post Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:52 pm
mister malcontent User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

So I have finally figured this one out and its " Southern Delight " which is American owned and made. Best price, best results,best nutritionally and best variety.Got mine from Mr Mann on this site.
"I caught a falling star...It cut my hands to pieces"

Post Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:57 pm
SupeDM User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

I feed mainly NLS pellets however depending on what type of diet the fish require i substitute a heavy diet of their required food every other day. For instance Herbivores get Spirulina based foods every other day where as carnivores get earthworm or brine shrimp flake. I also treat all but the herbivores to some frozen food at least one time a week. For your list of fish I would feed NLS and brine shrimp flake I would also feed the occasional treats of Bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp sometimes. My petricola bred furoiusly after i started feeding bloodworms after tank lights had been out for a couple hrs. I even witnessed the mass arena breeding behavior of these once. All in my group of 20 adults spawning and scattering eggs all over the place at once. Most of the eggs were eaten immediately as these fish are quick to gobble their own eggs.
125 gallon Mixed African Cichlid
125 gallon Furcifer Kigoma 90 gallon Mixed Malawi
75 gallon Mbuna growout
5x55 gallon Peacock colonies
40 breeder Furcifer Ruzibra growing out.
5x20 High growouts and projects.
55 gallon Archocentrus Semperfasciatus

Return to Foods and Nutrition