Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition Tropheus pellets

Tropheus pellets

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:27 pm
rhodalinsky Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

What type of pellets can I feed my tropheus. Right now they are almost a year old and about 2.5". I have been feeding them sprirlina flakes but I would like to move to a pellet. I think the flake isn't enough for them and there is a lot of waste. When I feed less they always seem to be more hungery. Plus, after I feed flake the water is cloudy for a couple hours no matter how much or little I feed. I am using kens flake.

Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:01 pm
mrmann Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Have you tried NLS? That should be a good all around pellet for most cichlids.

Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:49 pm
~Rush~ User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Ken also has a selection of sinking sticks that would be a good choice.

I'm not an african expert, but if its spiriulina you are seeking he sells a premium spirulina stick food.

Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:53 pm
Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

I'd stay away from regular nls with trophs, too much animal protein and fat. Just saw that kens started making mini veggie sticks that should meet their nutritional needs, and will be much more substantial than flake. All my ancistrus go nuts for the larger version, but they may be a bit big for 2.5" fish.
http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/kens-p ... ticks.html

He also has a new spirulina mini stick, but it's mostly fish meal.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:08 pm
~Rush~ User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Huh, yeah good catch Vashjir. Interesting that the ingredients list is so drastically different between the veggie sticks and spirulina sticks....

If it's vegetable matter you seek it looks like the veggie sticks are a much better choice.

Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:47 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Have never had great success with Tropheus. Read my comments with that knowledge.

In the wild Tropheus graze all day on rocks scraping alage and diatoms. Tropheus GI tract is at least 10x body length.
Feeding dense food such as pellets, worms, beef heart maybe possible but it definitely different than a natural diet. Some believe that feeding such foods is similar to Russian Roulette. It is only a matter of time until GI tract becomes impacted, infection commence and rupture into peritoneal cavity occurs followed by death.

To imitate a natural diet, romaine lettuce and flake with spirulina content fed multiple times daily would be a better fit for feeding physiology of Tropheus.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:49 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Regarding cloudy water, try another brand of flake. Or decrease quantity per feeding and increase number of feedings per day.

BTW, Tropheus are always begging for food. Just because they beg, does not mean they have to be fed. Romaine lettuce would be a good choice after they have taken in flake. Romaine is not going to cause any GI issues.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:23 pm
chevyguy15 User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

i feed mine a spirulina from greg at littleafricaaquatics and DAINICHI VEGGIE FX and DAINICHI VEGGIE DELUXE. havent had a problem in 2 years.

i also give them romaine lettuce at least 4 times a week. dont over feed them. i feed mine 3 times a day but little amounts to what i feed my other fish.

Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:52 pm
1-2ride User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

kens tropheus lovers flake or hbh veggie flake premium have both worked well for me....i have seen full adult tropheus that were very thin fatten up on nothing but flake food twice a day. they will always seem hungry...they are just fine though....one of the pleasures of keeping tropheus is that they are always at the front of the tank.

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:51 pm
chevyguy15 User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

1-2ride wrote:
kens tropheus lovers flake or hbh veggie flake premium have both worked well for me....i have seen full adult tropheus that were very thin fatten up on nothing but flake food twice a day. they will always seem hungry...they are just fine though....one of the pleasures of keeping tropheus is that they are always at the front of the tank.

agree. they will also eat out of your fingers.

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:19 pm
fiaman Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I have had my group for 5 years I feed them hikari seaweed extract pellets... I soke them for about 10 minutes and feed them 5 to 6 tines a day

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:30 pm
Joshmac8 Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

DAINICHI VEGGIE FX

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:23 pm
TyVa Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

I fed mine veggie pellets. I was told to saok it for a couple min. before feeding and it worked pretty good as we all know tropheus are always begging for food anyway lol.
FEATHERFINS!!! >}}}•>....

Return to Foods and Nutrition