Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition Repashy

Repashy

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:23 pm
tjudy Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I do not notice a smell when feeding the gel, but there is an odor as it is being mixed with the boiling water. Whether or not the smell is horrible or not depends upon the person smelling it. I do not find the smell offensive, but I am not overly sensitive to smells.

Post Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:46 pm
Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

It smells really bad if you accidentally microwave a 1/4 cup for twice as long as needed. After making the gel though the smell is minimal.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:36 pm
Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

I've been using the shrimp soufflé and meat pie for about 3 weeks now and I'm quite happy with it, especially as shrimp and fry food. I've been raising a 'special project' batch of fry for a buddy and i've seen at least a tripling in their size since I started. I like how easy it is to add extra supplements too. I've been incorporating a teaspoon of decap bse along with dash each of spirulina and astaxanthin powder. I also like that I can put in a chunk big enough for them to nibble on for a few hours without polluting the tank.
My shrimp and crays always finnish theirs off in a few hours and my livebearers and corys are big fans as well.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:59 pm
mister malcontent User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

You can get this on Amazon. Got a 5oz can of the Spawn and Grow for $16 with free shipping. Boy does it ever reek when you cook it up. Now I just need to catch some fry from the stock tank and move them indoors and see if they like it !
"I caught a falling star...It cut my hands to pieces"

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:18 pm
Templeflower Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I'm also going to be jumping on the repashy wagon this month. Swiss Tropicals is having a promotion. I want to try it for my cories, and eventually plecos. I'm a big believer that a varied diet is a healthy one, esp for juveniles, or fish you are trying to get into breeding condition. I'm very curious to hear from those who have been using it for a while now, how much you like it, and if it has made a noticeable difference in your fish.

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:03 pm
mrmann Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

I've been using the spawn and grow for many months now. Using it to grow newly hatched cichlids....they grow very quickly on it. I will be making my own gel food from now on though as I have found a better food to use.

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:55 am
Level 4 Member

mrmann- I'm very curious to see if you are willing to share how you plan to gel your own food?

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:37 pm
mrmann Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

You can pretty much take any food and make your own gel foods with it. Simply take whatever pellet food you feed your fish and grind it up(Coffee Grinder) until it is in powder form. Next step go to your supermarket and find the non-flavored gelatin. Mix the gelatin and food together at 1/2 cup food to 3 packets of gelatin. I mix 1/4 cup boiling water to equal part food/gel mixture then pour into your mold and let cool in fridge. It's that easy really. You may have to fine tune your food to water mixture to get the correct consistancy but the basic method is here. This concoction was told to me by by my friend Forrest, and I believe he saw Uarujoey do it originally on YouTube.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:40 pm
mister malcontent User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

So I threw 2 1cm cubes in with about 60 Flav fry last night and although they didnt go crazy for them they were picking away at it and its all gone this morning. Its a very easy way to feed and keep track of how much your feeding. Also easy to see when you need to mix more. Can't imagine its much use for large cichlids though as they would simply swallow even big chunks of it.
"I caught a falling star...It cut my hands to pieces"

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:22 pm
mrmann Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

I forgot to mention that the DIY version I mentioned does not have the same stability as Repashy does. It does break down usually within an hour but still does not float away and cloud the water column.

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:24 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Homemade gelled food has been fed to all size cichlids for many years per reciepe below. It is called Shrimp Mix

2 lb of whole shrimp
2 lb of frozen peas
10 grams of spirulina powder
1 gram of astaxathin
10 tablets of multivitamins
1/4 lb of gelatin

Grind thawed shrimp and peas to fine consistency. Grind multivitamin tablets, add these along with other powder additives and mix.
Prepare gelatin on stove top with water as instucted on gelatin package. Turn stove down to lowest heat and slowly add food mix, when consistency is even, turn stove off. Now pour mixture into ice cube trays or use wax paper on cookie sheet or plastic containers. Spread food onto cookie sheet in thickness desired or into plastic mold or ice cube tray. Chill until food is solid. Now cut into feeding chunk size, seal food for freezer storage.

An alternative is to grind up pellets and add pellets to the mix above or just grind up pellets and add to gelatin as Mike suggested.
It would not surprise me if Repashy prepared gelled food in his kitchen for years, then one day it dawned on him how to market a food based on gel principle.

mister malcontent wrote:
So I threw 2 1cm cubes in with about 60 Flav fry last night and although they didnt go crazy for them they were picking away at it and its all gone this morning. Its a very easy way to feed and keep track of how much your feeding. Also easy to see when you need to mix more. Can't imagine its much use for large cichlids though as they would simply swallow even big chunks of it.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:50 pm
Level 4 Member

Interesting. I'm wondering if this would be a good way to prepare food for the slower eaters in my tank, like cories and plecos. Not that the cories have any problem finding food, but if the gelatin binder sinks, it'd keep the frozen foods I like to use out of the water column where they can't catch it.

Previous

Return to Foods and Nutrition