Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition Glassworm maintenance

Glassworm maintenance

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:08 pm
eraserbones Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I bought a bag of glassworms at the MAS meeting, and stuck them in the fridge, as is. Is that sufficient to keep them going for a few weeks, or should I be changing their water and/or giving them more space? They're very crowded in there...

Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:15 pm
nkambae User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

I do my best to change the water every day. I just pour the larva and water through a fin mesh net and replace the water with cold filtered water (no chlorine). They seem to keep fairly well that way. Good luck.

stu
Who is John Galt?

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:11 pm
PAVELKOSOVAN Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

hi guys, I'm kind of new on this forum. I am also new to the fish world, so i have many questions. right now i have a question. i am breeding German Blue Rams and i feed them Black Worms but i found out that they have parasites from them. i found information about glass worms; they give the same results but no parasites. Where can i buy Glass Worms and how do i take care of them?
thank you for helping me out ahead of time.

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:46 pm
born ready User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

I think some pet shops sell glass worms, but they are much more affordable in larger quantities at MAS meetings. Seasonally only, of course since they are only collected in the Winter.

I am not as fastidious as Stu, or maybe I'm just lazier, but I only drain and rinse my glassworms once a week. and they keep well for over a month in the refrigerator. I have heard of others keeping them alive for many months in the fridge.

The bags sold at the meetings are very densely packed so I wouldn't store the worms like that. I get the large bag at MAS (1 pint, I think) and put it in a large plastic "shoebox" with a lid that I about half fill with water. That's maybe 1/3 of a gallon. Like Stu, I dump the worms into a large net with fine mesh. Let the cold water run until it gets as cold as possible and rinse the worms a little. Then put the worms into the box with that same, cold, tap water. They have never chlorinated my city water so you may need to age yours then refrigerate before using it. I don't know how they do in chlorine. I dip some out with a small net to feed.

I haven't had any disease issues known to have come from these, but any wild or even farmed food always carries some risk of that. Hydra, for sure, could come in with them. I have it on good authority that they can carry a fungus which is deadly to Nothobranchius, but not other fish. But I have used them for a long time whenever they are available with excellent results. They live for a few days in the tank if not eaten and if you were to overfeed so much that some managed to transform into adults in your warm tanks, that is just a tiny, harmless fly.

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:29 pm
Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

+1 to worms at mas meetings.

I usually get a smaller half pound/1cup bag of glass worms at a time. I store them in a large plastic peanut jar in the fridge with a few holes for air. I wouldn't leave them in the bag since they will use up the o2 eventually. I'll dump them all into a fine meshed net, rinse them and change their water every week or two. They don't need much water either, a cup or two is more than sufficient. They are remarkably resilient and WAY easier to keep healthy and alive than blackworms.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Return to Foods and Nutrition