Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition Daphnia are out. Vol 2

Daphnia are out. Vol 2

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed May 17, 2006 8:28 pm
storrisch User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

hope the crap I pulled out of the pond is daphnia. I am assuming so from what I have seen online. Oh well it's in the freezer none the less. Mike you should come by tomorrow after you get done with work. I will be home around 6 - 6:15 there is a small pond behind our apt. that is surrounded by trees so it is super calm and doesnt seem to have any fish.
Garrett B.

Post Thu May 18, 2006 12:32 am
pbdragon User avatar
MAS Board Member
MAS Board Member

storrisch wrote:
hope the crap I pulled out of the pond is daphnia. I am assuming so from what I have seen online. Oh well it's in the freezer none the less. Mike you should come by tomorrow after you get done with work. I will be home around 6 - 6:15 there is a small pond behind our apt. that is surrounded by trees so it is super calm and doesnt seem to have any fish.

If it looks like tiny brown fish eggs, then it's daphnia.

Post Thu May 18, 2006 12:10 pm
storrisch User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

anyone planning on going out collecting this weekend. I would be up for it for sure.
Garrett B.

Post Thu May 18, 2006 12:17 pm
pbdragon User avatar
MAS Board Member
MAS Board Member

We had great success at Ken's last night. It was awesome, about 6 pounds of daphnia!!!! Ken and family were great hosts too! Wonderful fishroom, Scott said the beer is excellent, very enjoyable! Thanks so much Ken!!!! :D

Post Thu May 18, 2006 9:18 pm
KenB Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Glad everyone could come out and play. I went out again later this afternoon. They weren't as thick as they have been. Maybe three pounds came out before the pickings were slim.

So thats been around 12 pounds of drained and frozen daphnia in three days. All of it coming out of the same 10 foot square pool. Am I being too greedy when I complain that they are slowing down? :lol:

Maybe it's time to branch out and fine a new spot. The swamp is big. It shouldn't be too hard.

My fish are loving it.
KenB

Post Thu May 18, 2006 9:39 pm
storrisch User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Ken if you want some company I would be willing to come out there and join you. Let me know a day/time and I'll be there.
Garrett B.

Post Thu May 18, 2006 10:08 pm
sosnarfy User avatar
Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Hey Ken! Thanks for letting us bug collect with ya! I gave some daphnia last night and went to bed. Hopefully I'll be able to collect more this weekend. :D It makes me feel like a kid tromping around in weeds and muck and mud.
~D

I miss my fish.

Post Thu May 18, 2006 10:50 pm
dougtpham User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Let me know when and see if I can make it. Talking about daphnia in lbs sounds exciting :-)

Doug

Post Fri May 19, 2006 10:27 am
Anchor User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

I should be heading out to my spot this weekend near crown..

WIll let yall know..

Anchor
Spam? It's Gotta be Spam. But not much Spam.

Post Fri May 19, 2006 12:07 pm
sosnarfy User avatar
Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Keep me posted! The more I can play outside in the next six days, the happier I'll be! :D
~D

I miss my fish.

Post Fri May 19, 2006 1:25 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

sosnarfy wrote:
Keep me posted! The more I can play outside in the next six days, the happier I'll be! :D

Wanna mow my yard?
Like a complete unknown

Post Fri May 19, 2006 3:52 pm
sosnarfy User avatar
Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Passionfish wrote:
sosnarfy wrote:

Wanna mow my yard?

Um... Thanks, but no thanks... If your yard is anything like our yard, I'll feel like I'm in the movie "Children of the Corn" :twisted:
~D

I miss my fish.

Post Fri May 19, 2006 8:24 pm
KenB Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I think the daphnia are over at my house for the most part. The level in the swamp is dropping and the hole I was dipping in is mostly mud. I can still get a few, but the percentage of swamp gunk to daphnia is too high.

Next year when the lilacs start blooming, I'll know it's probably time to harvest daphnia. Timing on the two were a match this year.
KenB

Previous

Return to Foods and Nutrition