Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition Night Crawlers are out

Night Crawlers are out

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:29 am
KenB Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

With the cool temperatures and a soaking rain lasting several days, the night crawlers will be out. Put on your raingear, get a tall pail and a flashlight. Walk real softly. There should be a ton out tonight. When it warms up, you can't find them because they dive down deep to excape the heat. After the grass grows in often it gets too thick to pull them out of the lawn. Prime collecting will be over in a week or two. Get out tonight. Fresh or frozen, whole or chopped, your fish will love them. I predict you'll want a headlamp or a light you can hold in your teeth because you'll need both hands. If there are none in your yard, go to a local park. Look for someplace that doesn't use lawn chemicals. During the day you can scout out good places to come back to if you look for the castings they leave behind when they come out of the ground. They look like little piles of fine mud left next to their hole.

I usually collect several hundred and keep them alive in worm bedding for Spring fishing down on the river. At a bait store they are almost $3 a dozen. When I get tired of maintaining the crawlers, I chop 'em up feed them to the fish.

Get out and try it. It's prime time and will be over soon!
KenB

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:08 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Hey Ken I will take a flat for $36. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Like a complete unknown

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:36 pm
gloflyer Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Get out and try it. It's prime time and will be over soon!

Paul has been busy the last couple of days. Theyr'e everywhere. You can also look on sidewalks, driveways, roads, parking lots, etc.

Put 76 of them into bedding today. They will keep just fine until it starts to warm up.(Or until I feed them to the fish, or until I use them fishing.) Up here there isn't much traffic, so we can pick them off of the roads.

Bob, if you're serious Paul will even sell you the worms, box and bedding for $36.

Linda

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:38 pm
Level 20 Member

If someone has 144 nightcrawlers (flat) for $36, I will buy it.

We have not had crawlers after three days of rain, just angle worms. I sent Laurie out to pick up some slugs, the fish enjoyed those.
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon May 01, 2006 1:15 pm
gloflyer Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Paul and I went nightcrawling last night. We only picked up 47 nightcrawlers. His personal best is 2200 in one night. There are 200 to the quart. I had only picked up one or two before. There is an art to it. You can't hit them directly with your light. If they are out on the blacktop, touch both ends at once and they will bunch right up into your hand.

They weren't as thick last night as they have been before. If people want them, we also have a connection to get them through the trade. It just depends on when the supplier will be coming through next.

Paul has a license and will be trapping leaches soon. Are these of any use for feeding the fish?

Paul and Linda

The Garrison Nightcrawlers.

Post Mon May 01, 2006 1:53 pm
Level 20 Member

Linda

If you will be at MAS meeting, I will buy up to 12 dozen crawlers.

Thanks.
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon May 01, 2006 3:29 pm
saltydapleco User avatar
Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Amy and I take a plastic fish bag and hunt worms in our parking lot whenever it rains. The neighbors think we're nuts. I throw the big daddies back in thegrass and keep the little uns. I freeze them on sheets of tinfoil for fishsnacks. I'll feed some fresh too. Can I feed these to my africans? I've dropped a couple little snips in and they go nuts, the southamericans love them and get them each time.

My wildcaught chromidotilapia are afraid of them.
President and founder of the "MN Moss Ball Society"
Need caves? www.saltysdigz.com local prices are lower than those listed.

Post Mon May 01, 2006 5:19 pm
Shokubutsu-San User avatar
Level 12 Member
Level 12 Member

saltydapleco wrote:
Amy and I take a plastic fish bag and hunt worms in our parking lot whenever it rains. The neighbors think we're nuts.

The shouldn't think you are nuts. Until

I throw the big daddies back in thegrass and keep the little uns. I freeze them on sheets of tinfoil for fishsnacks.

they take a look in your freezer. :P

Yum yum!

Fishwisher Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I just found this ad posted on the craigslist:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/for/157707764.html

Night Crawlers For Sale- 1.50 / dozen, 1000 for $100
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-157707764@craigslist.org Date: 2006-05-05, 3:17AM CDT

Nice and lively. Cheap as chips. Good for opening fishing. Will take orders.
Let me know how many you need. Ham Lake/Blaine

Return to Foods and Nutrition