Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition BBS Hatching

BBS Hatching

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:47 pm
Cichlid Mania User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

One time I had a baby brine shrimp that grew into a 6" jumbo shrimp and I ate him.

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:30 am
Beaker User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Kolopedo wrote:
Yes. ..I got it at Big Al's.....

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/pro ... ry_id=3029

Probably the best 9 bucks I've spent in the hobby!

I'm going to try and revive this thread a little... I know it's been many
years, lol. Curious to know where I can find the hatchery, because the
above link doesn't work... I did find this http://tinyurl.com/HatcheryLink
on Big Al's site, but I have heard these don't work well.

Anyone know of a place to find an acrylic cone of some sort or a DIY
project that would be great for hatching BBS?

Thanks much,
- Brian
°•¤{ Brian }¤•°
Trusted MFK seller since 2010
Lightening fast Text responses.

Click to visit UnderwaterRetreats.com

Image Please Like my facebook page. Thanks!

If you send me a text please include...
- - Your name & MinnFish nickname - -

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:31 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Cones with stop cocks are nice for harvesting but are not needed for hatching.
Use any plastic or glass container to hatch the cysts. Can siphon out BBS or find a container with stop cock (like a tea jug).
What is important is
salinity
temperature
light
time
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:40 pm
Beaker User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

I hatched some today and got a ton of them, but it seems like the eggshells sink to the bottom for some reason. There is hardly any at the top after I remove the bubbles and wait 5-10 mins. not sure what's up with it. today I started working on a 2 liter hatchery, just started testing it out tonight, *crosses fingers* lol
°•¤{ Brian }¤•°

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:42 pm
Level 20 Member

Beaker wrote:
eggshells sink to the bottom

Odd
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:14 pm
KenB Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Beaker wrote:
I hatched some today and got a ton of them, but it seems like the eggshells sink to the bottom for some reason.

Wait a few more hours to harvest. They haven't completely hatched out yet. They're still at the instar one or two stage (or your eggs are bad and they'll never hatch). The density of hatched shrimp is less than the density of unhatched shrimp plus their shells. Before they hatch, they'll sink. Once they hatch and loose their shells, the nauplii will swim and the shells will float.

When I'm hatching BBS (often), my goal is to feed them within an hour or two of shedding their shells. The nutrition value is highest at this point. The longer you wait, the more of their yolk they absorb. Are your shrimp or the water in the hatchery bright red? That's not good. They've absorbed the yolk and molted several times. The best shrimp are brownish like the shell and haven't molted too many times yet. The goal is to feed them to your fish when they're small and filled with yolk. It's perfect when they just shed the shell and just start to swim. You only missed it by a few hours. Congratulations, you almost hit the perfect time to feed them (if your eggs were good and able to hatch).

Check out the Brine Shrimp Direct site for lots of neat articles and pictures if you have questions.

Good luck.
KenB

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:15 pm
KenB Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Beaker wrote:
I hatched some today and got a ton of them, but it seems like the eggshells sink to the bottom for some reason.

Wait a few more hours to harvest. They haven't completely hatched out yet. They're still at the instar one or two stage (or your eggs are bad and they'll never hatch). The density of hatched shrimp is less than the density of unhatched shrimp plus their shells. Before they hatch, they'll sink. Once they hatch and loose their shells, the nauplii will swim and the shells will float.

When I'm hatching BBS (often), my goal is to feed them within an hour or two of shedding their shells. The nutrition value is highest at this point. The longer you wait, the more of their yolk they absorb. Are your shrimp or the water in the hatchery bright red? That's not good. They've absorbed the yolk and molted several times. The best shrimp are brownish like the shell and haven't molted too many times yet. The goal is to feed them to your fish when they're small and filled with yolk. It's perfect when they just shed the shell and just start to swim. You only missed it by a few hours. Congratulations, you almost hit the perfect time to feed them (if your eggs were good and able to hatch).

Check out the Brine Shrimp Direct site for lots of neat articles and pictures if you have questions.

Good luck.
KenB

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:55 pm
Beaker User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

That's awesome, thanks much Ken. The eggs I'm playing with were given to me by Kim, and she herself didn't know if they were good or not, but from the little scoop I tried several billion hatched lmao. with this new setup I'll have better success rate because I'll have light on them and heat somehow heh, but 1 step at a time...
bob has also been a great help in getting me started on the whole bbs thing, it's awesome.

thanks again guys!
°•¤{ Brian }¤•°

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:35 am
fishguy2007 User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

? will bbs still hatch after just being in the jar 4 about 7 years?
DAVID

200 Gallons of fish!

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:49 am
Beaker User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

fishguy2007 wrote:

best way to find out... toss some in water and try to hatch ;)

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:06 am
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

fishguy2007 wrote:

If the jar was sitting at room temperature, I'd be very doubtful. Eggs should be kept frozen and dessicated for long term viability.

Willie

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:23 am
Beaker User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

not frozen, refridgerated. they should be kept below 50°, but not freezing temps, that'll shorten the lifespan of the eggs as well.

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:07 pm
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Beaker wrote:
not frozen, refridgerated. they should be kept below 50°, but not freezing temps, that'll shorten the lifespan of the eggs as well.

I store mine in the freezer at -70F. Good after 5 years, so far.

Willie

Post Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:09 pm
Level 20 Member

I met a guy that was a MAS member YEARS ago. He had purchased a case of eggs at meeting for $8 a lb and he kept cans in the freezer. Eggs hatched for many years. When he ran out eggs were $40 a lb.
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:48 pm
Beaker User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

okie I stand corrected. I've just read so many differing views. stupid internet :/

PreviousNext

Return to Foods and Nutrition