Board index Aquaria Topics Foods and Nutrition Micro-worm nutrition

Micro-worm nutrition

Discuss fish foods and nutrition here.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:20 pm
meck3427 Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Been using microworms for an early food for all the fry in the fishroom. From what I've read, may not be the most nutritious. Has anyone "gut loaded" microworms? If so what did you use? Results?

Appreciate any insight

Thanks

Post Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:58 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

My view was switch from micro worms to bbs asap. However, I am not positive bbs is best food. Although, bbs seems like a miracle food for fry that can take it.
Even a micro worm has some protein and nucleic acids.

It seems part of why worms are a good source is motility, drawing fish to eat the worm.

I suggest calling brine shrimp direct and asking what scientific information they have on gut loading worms.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:21 pm
Tvadna Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I do use microworms to feed smaller fish to give them some variety and also to help condition them to breed.

Where they really come in handy is for fry. I see them as a bridge between yolk sac stage and brine shrimp. Without microworms, the fry of German Rams don't live long enough to get to BBS. I've never been concerned with nutrition, just getting them to eat anything in order to sustain them until they can get BBS.

With that being said... I use oatmeal for the Micro worms. It has 6 grams of protein per cup which isn't bad for a plant based food. Not sure if that gut loading translates into the fry however.

If you have a lot of fry and are curious... maybe try Quinoa which has 8 grams of protein/cup. That's assuming that the microworms can live off of it like oatmeal.

Lastly if you really want to experiment, maybe try adding whey protein to the oatmeal.

I would be hesitant to add any animal based protein to a micro worm culture. The smell of 3 week oatmeal is ranke enough.

Post Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:27 am
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

The most definitive write up on microworms I've ever come across is here, http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/microworms.htm. The page claims that mashed potato flakes can be used to grow microworm cultures with no odor. I have yet to try this, but it's certainly appealing.

Post Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:53 pm
scott Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

willie wrote:
The most definitive write up on microworms I've ever come across is here, http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/microworms.htm. The page claims that mashed potato flakes can be used to grow microworm cultures with no odor. I have yet to try this, but it's certainly appealing.

Read the article (and comments) and like the idea of the paper towel over the culture - will be trying that.

I currently use mashed potato flakes and it still smells.

Scott.

Post Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:39 am
Eric N Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Return to Foods and Nutrition