Board index Aquaria Topics Fish Health and Water Chemistry To cull or attempt breeding??

To cull or attempt breeding??

Discussion about fish health and water chemistry.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:56 am
neonate User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I purchased a group of 9 Gymnogeophagus sp. Batovi Blue (supposed F1) from a breeder at about 1" in size. They appeared healthy and without issue at time of arrival. As they grew I started to notice issues with them. All but one has a slight horizontal bend in its tail just before the caudal fin. A few have stunted pectoral fins. A two or three have missing membrane between the 3rd and 4th dorsal rays. One has a wide and round head (needs to be culled). They are to the 2-3" range now and have really started to developed their beautiful blue and pinks. All swim and act perfectly fine.
The original plan was to breed these. Now the question...If I breed these will these deformities carry down the line?? I am assuming yes but would like a confirmation. Thanks!

Post Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:45 am
kb0903 User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

I think 99/100 breeders will tell you to not breed these fish due to genetics. Personally I cannot cull fish because 1 I paid money for them and 2 theyre still fun to keep even if they are not perfect. With that being said I have a few frontosas that have messed up Bars and I dont plan to let them breed that doesnt mean I wont keep the fish and enjoy them, I would just strip and discard the eggs if they spawned.

Just my .02

Post Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:48 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

IMO. It is ok ro breed the fish and see what percentage grow out defective.
It is not ok to sell or even give away that may be defective.

In other words, if you are interested in taking on a breeding project to determine in defects are likely result of poor environment (tank too small, infrequent water changes, poor food); then raise fry right and let them bred. The next batch will answer the question.

However, if you want nice normal looking fish in your tanks, euthanize what you have and obtain new stock from a better breeder/seller.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:53 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Btw, frontosa with “messed up bars” are frequent seen in Nature. This information was obtained from Ad Koinings personal communication. He also discusses this observation as a sound reason to reject C. gibberosa as a species.
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:02 am
neonate User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Thank you much for the input!

Return to Fish Health and Water Chemistry