Board index Aquaria Topics Fish Health and Water Chemistry Cycle 2 tanks by July 13th

Cycle 2 tanks by July 13th

Discussion about fish health and water chemistry.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri May 31, 2019 7:27 pm
Laura Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I would like to possibly get some fish at the Summer Picnic, Swap on July 13. I need to cycle a 15 and 10 gallon. I have some house hold ammonia I have used for cycling before. Do you think I have time to cycle with the ammonia alone or should I "jump start" it using my established 20 gallon? If so, how? I am using Aqua Clear filters for all the tanks (I use extra ceramic rings in place of the carbon). Also, I am planing on resealing the 20 gallon in June and will be using the 15 gallon as temporary housing so, I was thinking of cycling both filters on the 10 gallon. Would that change how much ammonia I should use?

Thanks

Post Fri May 31, 2019 8:28 pm
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

I offer cycled sponge filters for free to all local aquarists. You could just cram a piece into any HOB filter to get instant cycling. PM if you're interested.

Willie

Post Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:29 am
Laura Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I live 4 hours from Minneapolis. Would it work to get the sponge the day of the event and bring it home the next day? Thanks for the offer either way!

Post Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:12 pm
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Unfortunately I’m out of town that day. Didn’t know about this event until you mentioned it. If you have anyone in town that is going to the event, they can pick it up from me beforehand. I’ll put the sponge in a plastic bag and it’ll be good for at least a month.

Willie

Post Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:18 pm
Laura Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I don't know anyone in town. But thanks again for the offer!

Post Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:32 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

You have an established 20 gal tank. If you have media to spare and still keep your 20 cycled with remaining media, then you are all set. Take a portion of established media from 20 and place in each of new tanks. Add fish, feed lightly for a week or so and it is all good.
Like a complete unknown

Return to Fish Health and Water Chemistry