Board index Aquaria Topics Fish Health and Water Chemistry What is on his eye!?!

What is on his eye!?!

Discussion about fish health and water chemistry.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:40 pm
Fish4Kids Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

One of my African cichlids has a white spot on his eye. What do I do??
Here's a link to see the images.
This was the best pic I could get.

http://s280.photobucket.com/user/Shanna_Doerfler/media/IMG_2167_zpswti7mvdt.jpg.html?

Post Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:27 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Was able to track down your photobucket account and find image. However, I cannot link image to MFK.

It appears to be a mild fungal infection.

First change water, the cleaner the water the better odds of healing
Methylene blue will promote healing. Using Kordon brand methylene blue, add 8 ml of methylene blue to 10 gal of water. Do not feed fish. Provide aeration and keep fish in bath for 1-3 days. No filter is needed for this period provide water is clean to start and fish has purged for 2-3 days.
Like a complete unknown

Post Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:40 pm
Fish4Kids Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Thank you!

Post Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:21 pm
batman User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I like pimafix too. Works well for me. I've noticed that aeration is key. I use an extra power head like the one below that really pumps in a lot of air and it seems to really help.

https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-PH055 ... water+pump

Post Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:35 pm
Fish4Kids Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

What about treating the entire tank?? I've never had to treat a tank before, so I guess I don't know what to do.

Post Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:38 pm
Fish4Kids Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Here's my current occupants of this 90 gallon tank (if it makes any different)..
(2) Pictus Catfish
(4) Plecos (1 is about 8" long, others are under 5")
(3) Albino Rainbow Sharks
(2) Orange bottom feeders
(19) Variety of African Cichlids

Post Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:15 pm
batman User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Do the other fish look okay? Any signs of fungal growth or fin rot? You can treat the entire tank with pimafix. If you don't have to do that, it's easier to put him in a smaller hospital tank.

Post Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:49 am
Level 20 Member

Unless other fish are ill, do not treat entire tank. Use a 10 gal tank with aeration. If you fill tank with clean water and add conditioner, no filter will be needed for 3 days of treatment.

Also some medications are expensive and all medications have adverse effects. Using meds is a risk/benefit issue. Sick fish benefit. Well fish recieve no benefit and are exposed to risk of adverse effect.
Like a complete unknown

Post Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:12 am
Fish4Kids Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I apologize for my delay. I really do appreciate the help. I've had a sick little one. With that I as unable to get to the store to grab the medication for the fish until yesterday. When I checked checked him yesterday afternoon to retank him, his white spot is almost completely gone, and I've done nothing. I haven't seen any signs on any other fish, or on any other part of him.

Post Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:02 am
Level 20 Member

Fish4Kids wrote:
I apologize for my delay. I really do appreciate the help. I've had a sick little one. With that I as unable to get to the store to grab the medication for the fish until yesterday. When I checked checked him yesterday afternoon to retank him, his white spot is almost completely gone, and I've done nothing. I haven't seen any signs on any other fish, or on any other part of him.

Good News.
Fish has a healthy immune system as proven in this case.
Like a complete unknown

Return to Fish Health and Water Chemistry