Board index Aquaria Topics Fish Health and Water Chemistry Need a Used/Dirty bio spongefilter to start new tank

Need a Used/Dirty bio spongefilter to start new tank

Discussion about fish health and water chemistry.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:13 am
xion0374 Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

It's been over 3 years since I last had a fish tank. I decided to start raising Guppies again but I'm in need of help. It's been over 2 weeks now and fish tank still cloudy, amonnia sitting at .5 to 1.0ppm with no presents of nitrite or nitrate in water. I had used 2 bottle of seachem live bacteria as well as aqua something fish bacteria and non of wich is working. I used a slight old sponge filter and still not working, just the present of ammonia n nothing else but cloudiness.

What am I doing wrong. Last time I just used an nasty stinky old sponge filter and that worked but now it's nothing.

My substrate include sand, clay, sand, gravel with some bacteria in it, and more gravel I don't remember the name exactly. But the fish store I purchase the gravel from said don't rinse the substrate, there good to go so just later it down. Maybe I should wash them first idk.

Should I try some more older sponge filter. If so anyone have old sponge filter lying around.

Post Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:11 am
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

I can give you a seasoned sponge if you like.

Willie

Post Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:38 am
xion0374 Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Yea that would be great, I can try it again with a much older sponge. Are you available today before noon or sometimes early tomorrow morning before noon.

Post Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:05 pm
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Sorry, but I work both days. Available after 6 pm both days. We can also meet at the MAS auction on Saturday. Text me for more direct communication, 612-669-7550.

Willie

Post Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:11 pm
xion0374 Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Im off sunday, what time can u meet me.

xion0374 Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Looking for anyone whom live in the metro area would like to donate their used bio sponge filter so I can get my tank started with bacteria, preferably available for pick up tomorrow through Sunday.

Post Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:13 am
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Me too. Any time. Text me for address and time.

Return to Fish Health and Water Chemistry