Board index Aquaria Topics Fish Health and Water Chemistry Filtration for shrimp with Granulated catalytic carbon

Filtration for shrimp with Granulated catalytic carbon

Discussion about fish health and water chemistry.

Moderator: Moderators

JJG Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I live in St. Paul. I understand that there are chloramines in the public water supply.

I would like to learn to start Raising shrimp.

I understand that I would have to have a catalytic carbon filter preceding a reverse osmosis filter

What is the simplest do it yourself system to create the appropriate water for Orange Eye tiger shrimp?

Thank you

willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

There are a variety of chemicals that remove chloramines instantaneously, so that's not a reason for using R/O water for shrimp. I know of many shrimp people currently using tap water. The current MAS Auction offers many types of shrimp.

eraserbones Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

JJG wrote:
I live in St. Paul. I understand that there are chloramines in the public water supply.

I would like to learn to start Raising shrimp.

I understand that I would have to have a catalytic carbon filter preceding a reverse osmosis filter

What is the simplest do it yourself system to create the appropriate water for Orange Eye tiger shrimp?

Thank you

The best luck I've had keeping caridina shrimp was with Minneapolis city water + seachem Prime. If you're getting water from the river like Minneapolis then you should definitely just do that -- no need for an RO system unless your tap water is hard (and maybe not even then.)

Return to Fish Health and Water Chemistry