Board index Aquaria Topics Fish Health and Water Chemistry Help

Help

Discussion about fish health and water chemistry.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue May 12, 2020 12:14 am
jordyndean Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I gave my son and grandchildren a fish tank,everything I give them keeps dieing off...I believe they are doing things rite,,,,,,well water with iron he said is what they have.....what fish likes this as I believe they're about to give up on fish....I would like my grandchildren to enjoy what many of us have...somebody here must have well water and tropical fish.....a cup of water left out for a couple hours turns a little orange

Post Thu May 14, 2020 7:26 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

If you have water chemistry test kits, you can verify what is in the water. Typical aquarium water chemistry kits do not come with a test for iron. You may want to get a test kit or ask the county agent to come out and test for iron. I suspect the iron level may be too high for drinking water also. Actual orange water probably does need to be tested as it is obvious the iron level is high.

Get a pour-through filter to remove the iron or use other chemical products to convert iron first then filter iron out. If they are keeping hard water fish such as African rift lake, removal of iron should be sufficient water treatment.

Rick Smaciarz has well water with a big iron problem if you know Rich call him.
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu May 14, 2020 8:00 pm
jordyndean Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Thanks bob, we will do just that,,,,I know they don't drink the water........now that you mention it they should get someone out to check it...as always thanks for the help

Post Sat May 16, 2020 8:00 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Welcome
Like a complete unknown

Return to Fish Health and Water Chemistry