Board index Aquaria Topics Fish Health and Water Chemistry Tank swap, need advice!

Tank swap, need advice!

Discussion about fish health and water chemistry.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:08 pm
neonate User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I currently have a 40 breeder running with Aquaclear 50, has good amount of plants/driftwood, rock and about 1-2" sand bed, and plenty of livestock. Has been running for close to 3 yrs. I am going to replace it with a 75 gallon that needs to go where the 40 is set up (Wife says so).
I'm wrestling with how to take down existing tank and start up the 75 right away without having to deal with a recycle and losing fish.
My thought is to remove plants/driftwood and place in old tank water and throw the hob into old tank water as well (not with motor of course). Take out fish and place in a couple buckets. I will also use some of the existing sand in the new tank. Figure I will have three 5 gallon buckets with stuff that have old tank water.
I will then move 40 and set up 75. Place some old sand with plenty of new sand in new tank. Add water. Put Aquaclear 50 and place new 6x6x10 cubefilter with jetlifter in it. Add water (how much old tank water im not sure). Put in driftwood and plants and rocks. add fish.
Do I need to buy a bunch of buckets and keep all the water from the 40 and place that into the 75 for stability?? 15 gallons of the old water??
I want/need to avoid going through another cycle.
What will work?? How much water do I need to save from 40? What is your advice or experience? I will do this as fast as possible working start to finish non stop.
Thanks in advance!
NeoNate

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:36 pm
batman User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

You need cycled media, not the old tank water. How long until you do this? If you have time, I would add those filters in now so that they cycle. You can get a real cheap storage bin to put the sand, decor, and filter material in. If you keep it wet, it should be fine to move over to the 75. But this is why I always keep extra sponge filters in the tanks. You can jump start any new tank with them.

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:11 pm
neonate User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

was hoping to get this done tomorrow. the hob is cycled. the new sponge is not. my thinking was the sponge and ceramics in the hob, along with the sponge on the intake of the hob would serve as my cycled media. would substrate and decor also add eonough beneficial bacteria? i could pull smaller established sponge out of another tank if i had to.
NeoNate

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:07 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Move 40 gal filters into 75. Add new filters too if wanted. After 3 months remove the filters from 40 if wanted.
It is amazing how small a filter can be to convert all nitrogen to nitrate, but that filter has to be cycled and your present 40 gal filters are cycled.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:16 pm
neonate User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Thanks Bob!
NeoNate

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:24 pm
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

I have cycled sponge filters available that you can stick into your HOB or canister filter for instant cycling. Text me if you like to pick some up. No charge.

Willie
612-669-7550

Return to Fish Health and Water Chemistry