Board index Aquaria Topics Fish Health and Water Chemistry Inexpensive way to lower PH?

Inexpensive way to lower PH?

Discussion about fish health and water chemistry.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:35 pm
meck3427 Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Been using PH down by API, buying a pint at a time. Have 20 tanks and try to maintain most of them at 7.0. With weekly water changes of 25% plus, it's an expense I would love to lower.

Any tips on what to use? Where to source a more affordable product? Advice on how to use/dose?

Appreciate any help.

Post Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:37 am
K_Discus Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

I usually use acid buffer
MONSTER FISH & TROPHEUS

Post Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:55 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Chemical Acid buffers that are compatible with life are more expensive than carbonate or alkaline buffer. Most aquarists attempt to use low carbonate water such as RO water then add leaves, wood and other organic items that release weakly acidic materials into the water.
Since the released acids are weak acids, if there is a high amount of carbonate buffer in the water, the pH will remain high. Hence the need to start with low carbonate content water.

Another approach that may be spendy is to purchase a resin column that binds ions in the water.
Like a complete unknown

Post Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:00 pm
meck3427 Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Thanks guys. I should have mentioned I do use mostly RO water. The big tanks get 50/50 R/O and tap water and have a lot of driftwood. Use almond and oak leaves in the apisto tanks, seems to help. But to your point Bob, it is a slow process of lowering PH even with low carbonate. My R/O unit is only a 3 stage and puts out a TDS around 10.

Return to Fish Health and Water Chemistry