Board index Aquaria Topics Fish Health and Water Chemistry New Mbuna are rubbing scales off their nose.

New Mbuna are rubbing scales off their nose.

Discussion about fish health and water chemistry.

Moderator: Moderators

Webster Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Hello,

I just received a new shipment of Mbuna on Friday. I bought Rusty's, Cobalt Blue, Red Top Hongi, and Chailosi. In total 21 fish. All seem healthy. I noticed last night that several were missing scales on their nose as if they were rubbing on something. Today I noticed that about half of them have some sort of rub mark on their nose. All the water parameters check out good. The tank is a 75 gallon and I left it bare bottom, no sand or gravel. I have 20 or so cichlids stones, and 5 pieces of PVC for them to hide in. I am running two Hydro 5 sponges and a oversized HOB filter.

My guess is that they are rubbing on the cichlid stones. They are kind of rough but not extreme. My only concern is that it continues and eventually the scales don't come back. I am not thinking it is a disease or infection, but I don't know for sure.

Any ideas or suggestions to why this maybe happening?

Webster Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Okay, I think that they are just lip locking. They must be sorting out their territories. I am kind of surprised because of their size of about 2 inches.

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Increase rock decor or something similar. Build decor for escape and short hiding spots.
Like a complete unknown

Return to Fish Health and Water Chemistry