Board index Aquaria Topics Fish Health and Water Chemistry Fin regrowth

Fin regrowth

Discussion about fish health and water chemistry.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:27 pm
Snake1oz Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Is there anything out there that will help aide in the regrowth of fins. My Silver dollars are all chewed up. I won’t name store I got them but was hoping to bring there fins back to looking healthy. There is a stingray in the tank so has to be friendly for him as well. Thanks

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:20 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

If there is an infection treat the infection. Infections vary so cannot advise medication unless infecting organism is identified.
A common type of infection is bacterial fin rot. Bacteria are typically gram-negative rods like Pseudomonas. There are antibiotics to treat these infections. One is Amikacin but there are many others.
The reason this is common is due to lack of sufficient water changes. Improvement of water quality with large and frequent water changes will prevent bacterial infection and will also promote healing.

If there is no infection, the cause could be ammonia burn. However, this is typically the result of water with ammonia accumulation. The best example is during shipping, ammonia can accumulate. This is why shipped fish should not be fed for at least 3 days prior to bagging. Treatment is keeping water clean with large and frequent water changes.

Some folks will suggest adding water-soluble vitamins to water but I do not believe there is evidence to support the value of vitamins.
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:25 am
Level 20 Member

Fin rays grow at the base, not the tip. Once the growth cone is damaged, the fin-ray will never regrow.
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:57 pm
Snake1oz Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I tested for ammonia and there it tested good. There does not seem to be any disease in the tank and the tank they came out of was so over stocked with more aggressive fish then the silver dollars. I was just curious if there was something out there or not. Thanks for the reply.

Jake

Post Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:58 am
Level 20 Member

Most fish keepers have zero ammonia in their tanks. An exception would be a child or some misguided friend dumping too much food into a tank.

If you have a test kit for nitrate, check it. Try to keep nitrate at 10 ppm or less with water changes. If nitrate is 20 ppm or higher, do an immediate water change. Some sources state fish can tolerate nitrate at 80 ppm, but IMO all nitrate elicits stress. Check native waters for nitrate; where fish are abundant, nitrate is zero. If one could find native waters with 20 ppm nitrate, I doubt anyone would want to eat fish from those waters.

Clean water is the best treatment to elicit fin regrowth.
Like a complete unknown

Post Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:07 pm
Snake1oz Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I will test that tonight and see where it’s at. Thanks again for all of your wisdom.

Return to Fish Health and Water Chemistry