Board index Aquaria Topics Fish Health and Water Chemistry Water Changes on city water

Water Changes on city water

Discussion about fish health and water chemistry.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:15 pm
kb0903 User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

So since I moved in I have always has a extra tank filled with water and added prime. Let that sit a week and do WC's out of that tank. My questions is will I be okay to do WC's out of the tap straight into tanks and adding prime? Or should I continue to let the water mature in a separate tank for a week treated with Prime?

Post Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:24 am
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

I condition my water by running an air stone and warming it up for 24 hours. I don't add Prime to the conditioning tank, but rather add it straight into the fish tank. The discus and angelfish tanks get 100% W/C daily with no problems.

By not adding Prime to the conditioning tank, I don't get any slime buildup.

Willie

Post Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:21 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Depends on what is added to water. City sounds like Minneapolis or Saint Paul which are both likely to add chloramines. Prime is an excellent product to bind chloramines.

IMO you can do water changes with tap water when using Prime. Be careful and watch water temperature closely. The temperature of tap water must match tank temperature prior to water change. OK within 2-3 degrees F.
Like a complete unknown

Post Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:58 pm
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Within a month, the tap water will be super cold coming out of the pipe and super saturated with dissolved gases. Make a large water change and your fish will get the 'bends'. I aerate the water primarily to address the problem of micro bubbles. It's not a problem in the summer.

Willie

Post Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:40 pm
kb0903 User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Sounds good guys! Appreciate it. Sounds like investing in a storage tank isn’t a terrible idea if I continue to add tanks. I miss my well water.

Return to Fish Health and Water Chemistry