Board index Other Stuff General Fish Talk Petco...

Petco...

Fish talk not related to a specific species or type of fish.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:52 am
chadthedad Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Just thought I would share this as I haven't been to a Petsmart or Petco in awhile...

Petco was having a 5 for $5 sale on fish. I decided to get some Cherry Barbs and when I told the employee what I wanted I was met with sevaral questions... How big is your aquarium? What other fish are in the aquarium? How long has the tank been running? etc... I answered each question and the employee apologized for asking but said they want to make sure people are getting the right fish for their situation and environment. I replied that I thought the questions were good and honestly a nice surprise. A couple weeks later I was back to get a glass top for my 40 breeder to keep fish and such from jumping and or climbing out. I see a family with a fish bowl, rocks, and some decorations talking to an employee. They wanted 4 little goldfish for the bowl. I cringed at the thought but what came next surprised me. The Petco employee explained that 4 goldfish wouldn't be able to live in the small fish bowl and took them over to the Betta section. While there he explained how often the water will need to be changed and set them up with some additional things. In the end the company made more money because 1 Betta costs more than 4 $0.20 goldfish but the fact that the employee took time to explain why the goldfish wouldn't work and why they could only keep one Betta was surprising. The quality of fish was still below that of a nice LFS but it was still nice to see them trying to point someone down a better path.

Now if I could only find a nice LFS down in Lakeville...
180g Rainbow Fish
90g Mbuna
90g Angel Community
75g Planted RCS and Nano Fish
30g African Sideneck Turtle
20g Betta

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:20 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

It would be interesting to find out how keeping betta worked out for family.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:49 am
chadthedad Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

@Passionfish, Me too... Hopefully better results than if they went with 4 goldfish :)
180g Rainbow Fish
90g Mbuna
90g Angel Community
75g Planted RCS and Nano Fish
30g African Sideneck Turtle
20g Betta

Post Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:41 pm
mr.fish Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

When people say that petco or petsmart is bad, they're really not bad! It's the workers! If the workers don't care for the fish or store then it gives them a bad reputation. If there's a good and informative worker then it helps. I work at a pet/fish store and I have customers only wanting to come back to me cause I help and inform the best that I can. And At my work place I strictly only talk and do fish stuff. Petco or petsmart don't really have workers like that

Return to General Fish Talk