Board index Other Stuff General Fish Talk Hobby slowing Down?

Hobby slowing Down?

Fish talk not related to a specific species or type of fish.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:18 pm
kb0903 User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Has anyone noticed a general decline in the Fish keeping hobby in MN specifically but midwest in general.

Personally I love keeping and selling/trading fry but it seems there are just less hobbiests in general these days. I know summers get busy hopefully it picks back up in in the winter but even little things like attempting to trade fish into stores and they say they dont have room because they are not moving stock.

thoughts?

Post Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:23 pm
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

I've had a very different experience. Everyone, that is LFS and Internet sales, tells me that they're doing more business than ever since the pandemic. Stores are having trouble getting stock and paying more for hobbyist fish.

Post Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:09 pm
meck3427 Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Local fish stores are reaching out to see what I have growing out. Their inventory and access to stock is way down from my conversations with the managers of the LFSs. Bringing 40 cherry barbs I raised over to a store later today. And like Willie, they tell me business has never been better and if they could get stock, it would be even better.

In talking with a few people I trade with and buy from in Iowa, they are not seeing much of a change. The quad city swap continues to bring in hundreds of people.

I think the trading and swapping at the club level may be down and likely what you are sensing. Online stuff is OK for some and likely much easier for the team running the event, but it doesn't give you the chance to mingle, chat and find out what people are working on or looking for.

Maybe set up a car pool to the next quad city swap meet? : )

KB, what do you have in stock??????

Just my 3 cents

Post Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:35 pm
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Steve and I drove 5 1/2 hours to Davenport, spent 45 minutes at the Quad City swap and drove 5 1/2 hours back. And it was worth it. I collected contact information from many of the sellers there, so maybe we can do one here as well.

Return to General Fish Talk