Board index Other Stuff General Fish Talk Exciting breeding during quarantine?

Exciting breeding during quarantine?

Fish talk not related to a specific species or type of fish.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:54 am
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Hi Brian;

This picture is of the L-398 fry in a breeder box taken from underneath. I had 2 - 3 eggs fungus, but most of them have developed. I added a tiny piece of driftwood yesterday and they all immediately congregated beneath it. It's not a good picture but even my iPhone is out of date. :o

L398 Tails(owFjsyPG46A).JPG
L398 Tails(owFjsyPG46A).JPG (34.19 KiB) Viewed 257 times

As you advised, they need to feed before the egg sac is used up. The first one started to move around yesterday, so I assume it's feeding time. My microworm culture is not working, so Plan B is Repashy Morning Wood. You can see smears of it at the bottom of the photo, toward the left. Plan C is Golden Pearls, a 5 - 50 um micro fine grind.

Willie

Post Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:58 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

I suggest a lot of aeration and a heavy dose of meth blue. A heavy dose is when you cannot see through tank. Unhatched eggs and dying wrigglers will not fungus. Find out native water temp when these fish breed and replicate that as well.
I have heard wrigglers will not eat. Once they are all wiggling, I would add some rotifer or similar sized golden pearls. Unconsumed rotifer will not fungus due to meth blue.
CONGRATULATIONS!
Like a complete unknown

Post Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:59 am
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

eraserbones wrote:
...I finally convinced my leopoldi angelfish to lay eggs on a slate rather than on the tank glass. I've never gotten more than a handful of fry leaving the eggs with the parents so trying to hand-raise this time...

I agree hand raising them would be much easier. Never done leopoldi, but I usually put the slate/cone of angelfish eggs into straight tap water. I'll add dechlor after 48 hours (they usually hatch in 60 hours). That way, the chlorine suppress any fungus growth. That approach usually works better for me than adding methylene blue or other fungicides in the hobby.

Good luck with those, Willie

Post Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:00 am
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Passionfish wrote:
I suggest a lot of aeration and a heavy dose of meth blue. A heavy dose is when you cannot see through tank...

Granted I've never added that much methylene blue. You must have lots of blue tanks, Bob. :)

Post Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:03 am
Level 20 Member

Blue stained tanks are a calming color??
Like a complete unknown

Post Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:25 pm
eraserbones Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Passionfish wrote:
I suggest a lot of aeration and a heavy dose of meth blue. A heavy dose is when you cannot see through tank. Unhatched eggs and dying wrigglers will not fungus. Find out native water temp when these fish breed and replicate that as well.

Thanks! When the eggs hatched I turned the aeration down (although not off) to avoid flinging the wrigglers around too much -- it sounds like I should aim for more motion. I'll add some more meth blue too; there's a fair bit in there already (along with some acriflavine).

Post Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:34 pm
Level 20 Member

I like to see wiggler pile turning over a bit not just wiggling. Unless natural breeding occurs in pools, I like to replicate a little current.
Exceptional spawn. I understand this species is difficult to spawn. Nice work!
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:25 pm
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

A week later and shot from the same angle. The L-398's have definitely grown a lot although the yolk sac is still visible on some. Repashy Morning Wood is the bomb!

L398 Tails1(Sd97sVuJiWr).JPG
L398 Tails1(Sd97sVuJiWr).JPG (39.42 KiB) Viewed 209 times

Post Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:38 am
btn Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

That is great! Congrats Willie! They are looking really good.

Post Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:32 pm
eraserbones Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Thanks to Bob's advice most of the Leopolid wrigglers survived and now they're eating. Am I likely to need to do a lot of culling or is that more of an issue with domestic/inbred angels? I'm trying to get some sense of how much tank space I'll need next month :)

Post Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:45 pm
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Even if you culled 90%, you're still going to need a lot of tank space. Get ready for water changes! :o

Previous

Return to General Fish Talk