Board index Other Stuff General Fish Talk Exciting breeding during quarantine?

Exciting breeding during quarantine?

Fish talk not related to a specific species or type of fish.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun May 24, 2020 9:01 pm
meck3427 Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Hi Willie, congrats, are the L333 the yellow or white strain?

Just found a couple of Pseudomugil luminatus hiding in a mat of guppy grass. Guess I can add those to my spawned list : )

Post Mon May 25, 2020 6:12 am
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

My L-333's are the yellow kind. I'm not a rainbow fan, but Pseudomugil luminatus would be the one I'd keep. Nice going.

Willie

Post Mon May 25, 2020 9:00 am
scott Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Super nice fish guys -

I'm raising fry from 4 quarantine spawns.

Pseudotropheus socolofi - Malawi mbuna.
Petrotilapia sp. chitumba - Malawi mbuna.
Corydoras aeneus - bronze cory.
Melanotaenia praecox - dwarf neon rainbowfish.

And my Neolamprologus multifasciatus - shell dweller - continually spawn so those don't really count.

The praecox are proving to be the most challenging because of the extremely small size. I exhausted my vinegar eels by over harvesting (stupid) and am trying to raise them on powdered food. I need to get a vinegar eel culture to start up new batch.

Need more tanks!

Scott.

Post Mon May 25, 2020 1:21 pm
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Take a picture, Scott. Aeneus fry are the cutest things ever!

Good fishing, Willie

Post Wed May 27, 2020 5:07 pm
btn Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

After a few unsuccessful spawns this winter, I have a small group of month old L398 Plecos Panaqolus tankei. I bred a smaller group last winter, but hadn't been successful this year. Sorry for the poor image quality, but don't want to disrupt them in their breeder box too much.
Attachments
L398-1.jpg

Post Thu May 28, 2020 10:38 am
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

I was thinking that we should start a pleco breeding cooperative in the Twin Cities. Not sure how we'd do it, but there's a lot of us working on these fish these days.

Willie

Post Thu May 28, 2020 9:06 pm
scott Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Willie -here's a picture of one of the aeneus fry. They are about 1 month old and maybe 1/2 inch long.

Poor pic with my phone but you get the idea - little mini cory!

Scott.
Attachments
49935757028_30f4e4bd3b_c.jpg

Post Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:55 am
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

L-333 Hypancistrus fry are fast growing and cute as all get out.

IMG_1670(ttmwkMMgkXx).jpg

Found some smaller ones when I changed water this morning, so they're still breeding!

Post Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:10 pm
AHcichlids Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I just found eggs last night from my opthalmotilapia ventralis mpimbwe “silver streak” feather fins last night! Barely 4-4.5” didn’t think they’d breed yet! That’s exciting for me!
Aquatic species breeder local to Minnesota with over 40 tanks in my room

2019 Minnesota aquarium society breeder of the yea

Always looking for hard to find species Text 763-302-9013 always willing to trade as well. Hard to find Tanganyikans are a plus.

Post Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:34 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Hemochromis frempongi fry appeared in 40 gallon tank. Immediately siphoned fry out to protect fry and feed BBS. The fry are doing well. Last week I saw another spawn of wrigglers.

This species is so territorial, I expect the parents can protect their fry in the 40. I do not want to move frempongi pair as the pair may break.

I have kept this species twice in past and result was death by alpha male to all other frempongi, I heard of some success and I started to believe this fish will bred in Minnesota. DONE!
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:08 pm
Tvadna Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Some of the species being bred locally are hard to believe if not for the amazing pictures. I enjoy hearing of success from rare and seldom captive bread species. Congratulations to all. The purge has left me busier than ever but I'm hoping to get back into it this winter when I finish the basement fishr...I mean bedroom (that happens to have a floor drain, waterlines, sink and future separate heat system).
Willie, What was the first pleco you had success spawning?

Post Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:32 am
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

I've been able to pull eggs from L-398's Panaqolus tankei recently, but these fish have not made it. :cry: Apparently, the fry starts to feed before the egg sac is completely used up. Next time, I'll have repashy ready.

Willie

Post Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:00 am
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Here they are again! Let's see if I can not screw it up this time.

L333 Fry(0Vqb7EA7tNp).jpg

Post Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:32 am
btn Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

willie wrote:
Here they are again! Let's see if I can not screw it up this time.

L333 Fry(0Vqb7EA7tNp).jpg

Willie, how are they coming along?

Post Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:40 am
eraserbones Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I finally convinced my leopoldi angelfish to lay eggs on a slate rather than on the tank glass. I've never gotten more than a handful of fry leaving the eggs with the parents so trying to hand-raise this time.

I've never seen wrigglers form sticky chains like this before -- is that common? The Angels Plus folks say that they always knock the wrigglers off the slate as soon as they hatch to get them away from dead eggs but I'm reluctant to mess with them this early on, seems like they'd all stuck together in a big suffocating ball if they fall to the bottom of the hatching jar.

PreviousNext

Return to General Fish Talk