Board index Other Stuff General Fish Talk It finally happened, leaking tank

It finally happened, leaking tank

Fish talk not related to a specific species or type of fish.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:42 pm
lifelinefish Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

25+ yrs of keeping fish and this is a first. I wish it would've been a smaller tank but it sadly wasn't. My 150g "cube" thurs night around 12am, thankfully awake watching TV. Corner up about 8"-10" from bottom it stopped leaking. Wasn't able to pinpoint the exact spot, water was coming up over the top of bottom rim on two sides, steady drips. Siphoned most of water out before my floor got to awfully wet. 5 mibwimbe fronts, 3 gold head comps, and 2 marlieri (all still relatively small) went into the sump luckily I've always ran 2 large sponge filters in there. No new tank in sight at the moment so the fish will have to call it home for awhile. I'm assuming it would cost an arm and leg to get it resealed. Might be my new dart frog habitat, if it is to pricey. Big bummer!!

Post Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:53 am
jergrafs User avatar
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

lifelinefish wrote:
25+ yrs of keeping fish and this is a first. I wish it would've been a smaller tank but it sadly wasn't. My 150g "cube" thurs night around 12am, thankfully awake watching TV. Corner up about 8"-10" from bottom it stopped leaking. Wasn't able to pinpoint the exact spot, water was coming up over the top of bottom rim on two sides, steady drips. Siphoned most of water out before my floor got to awfully wet. 5 mibwimbe fronts, 3 gold head comps, and 2 marlieri (all still relatively small) went into the sump luckily I've always ran 2 large sponge filters in there. No new tank in sight at the moment so the fish will have to call it home for awhile. I'm assuming it would cost an arm and leg to get it resealed. Might be my new dart frog habitat, if it is to pricey. Big bummer!!

Did you resolve this?

I would get a tube of aquarium safe silicone and seal it up. Look for pure silicone without any additives.
You can get this at Menards, Home Depot, Lowes's and most small hardware stores.
It should be an easy fix. Empty the tank and ensure that it is dry before using the silicone.
Ensure that it fully cures (air dry) before adding water back in.

I have an old 55 gallon Hex tank that I got used on Facebook Marketplace and cleaned up.
It has a small occasional drip at the very top. So, I did some research on this. I still need to seal it up.
I think I paid less than $5 for a full tube of silicone. So, it's actually pretty cheap. It comes standard in clear, white and black.
So, you can match what you already have sealing the tank.

If you go this route, you might want to do this outside or in a garage or shed.
There might be chemical fumes. I'll try to do mine and post here to let you know what I learn from the experience.
Check out my current fish list and photos:
https://aquarium.mn/members/profile/jergrafs

Return to General Fish Talk