Board index Other Stuff General Fish Talk Best LFS to date. Which is the best?

Best LFS to date. Which is the best?

Fish talk not related to a specific species or type of fish.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat May 11, 2013 1:34 pm
mister malcontent User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

Agreed that the salt water section should be got rid of or totally overhauled. Tank prices and selection are pretty good and you will get a deal if you get tops, lights etc at the same time. The selection, price and I think quality of the New Worlds is better than AWOF too. But most of all its the Ambience of the place and the space to walk around without "excuse me , excuse me" Must say I miss Something Fishy and the owner though !
"I caught a falling star...It cut my hands to pieces"

Post Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:49 pm
vl2lx Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I've got to say FLP would be my personal favorite. Lots of fish selections, cichlid prices are too high in my opinion but alot of the community fish are priced pretty well. The huge goldfishes are super cheap for their size! I just wish the rainbow fishes were cheaper but its still cheaper than other places I've seen. The reason why I love this store so much is the customer services from specific individuals there. There's a few random helpers that I'd see from time to time that don't provide the same kind of service, but the main guys there, like Mike, Phil, and Chris are awesome. I've been to a few other places that was mentioned earlier in this thread, same vibe: AWOF over priced, ignores you. Aqualand has some nice fish, but more expensive and their plants are super expensive. Been to TQ twice, didn't buy anything, and contrary to everyone else's experience there, I didn't find the prices and selection to be that good to me. I didn't know of Tropicquatic thought, may have to go check that out this weekend. BTW, I saw something about that MAS and BAP thing on this thread...how would one go about joining the club? I should probably look up some of the other thread, but..yea, typing out loud..didn't want to press the delete button. lol.

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:31 pm
aquatic hoyt Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

forest lake pets is the best store by far chris is the best!

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:58 pm
Xee_HYL Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I'm after the exotic/rare/oddball fishes, so you already know which store. Tropiquatics!

The Discus is of best quality and pricing is hard to beat....unbeatable.
The only retail store I know that imports hundreds of small to large quality Discus per order.
Artistically amazing

Post Wed May 16, 2018 12:52 pm
Beaker User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

JKhang wrote:
Pllatinum wrote:
A Wet Pet in Apple Valley.

I finally stepped foot inside this shop today. All tanks were clean and fish were healthy.

When did this happen?...... can't find anything on this forum mentioning them closing....

Post Wed May 16, 2018 5:17 pm
MplsGuy Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Beaker wrote:
JKhang wrote:
Pllatinum wrote:
A Wet Pet in Apple Valley.

I finally stepped foot inside this shop today. All tanks were clean and fish were healthy.

When did this happen?...... can't find anything on this forum mentioning them closing....

They've been closed for a year or two now. I don't know if it was ever posted on this forum, but it was disclosed somewhere public. I THINK they had a close out sale that was advertised on Craigslist. I liked having them as an option/addition to Twin Cities. Forest Lake Pets is cool, but it's so far.

Post Fri May 18, 2018 2:29 am
My2butterflies Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

If anyone in the cities is looking for a great shop to buy not just the common community fish, but awesome oddballs too, check out Quality Aquatics Pet Shop in Circle Pines.
I’m not in the cities but I’ll drive the 2hrs there and 2hrs back home to shop there. Hands down my favorite fish shop. Great prices, amazing selection, and great service. The owners are awsome. They’ll add air to my fish bags, give styrofoam coolers for transport, and have tracked down a fish apron request. I’ve never been so consistently please anywhere else.
I highly recommend checking them out.
They also have a Facebook page that they list new arrivals.

Post Fri May 18, 2018 5:16 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Quality Aquatics has a nice selection of healthy stock. Andrew is not attempting to serve all fishkeepers yet though. Check to see if offers the type of fish you enjoy before visiting.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue May 22, 2018 8:53 pm
My2butterflies Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Passionfish wrote:
Quality Aquatics has a nice selection of healthy stock. Andrew is not attempting to serve all fishkeepers yet though. Check to see if offers the type of fish you enjoy before visiting.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean?

Post Wed May 23, 2018 7:25 am
ROWEBLAST Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

My2butterflies wrote:
Passionfish wrote:

I’m not sure I understand what you mean?

Second that - I would argue Andy maintains the widest selection outside of possibly FLP for any local store. Now he doesn't do saltwater at all, but otherwise I've been very impressed with the store. He is definitely a fish only store, stocking very little hard goods.
The Farm (20): Otos, rummynose, cory pygmaeus, amano shrimp and a lone GBR
Rolling Rocks (10): Cherry shrimp, BB endlers and 2 baby L262 'salt queens'
Mishmash Jungle(28): SS endlers, penguin tetra, cory sterbai, bn pleco

Post Wed May 23, 2018 11:48 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Last I visited QA, I did not see any tetras, guppies, oscars, mollies, danios, platies, cherry barbs, gouramies, goldfish, koi and other less common fish. Great selection of cichlids, but there is likely more than 2000 cichlid species in Cichlidae. QA may have 70 to 100 species, which is very good.

It maybe Andrew has added more fish families and species. However, his space is at best 25% of large LFS and 50% of the remaining stores.

Let me be clear. If Quality Aquatics has the stock that interests you, then go shop there. I enjoy shopping at QA.

There is no one best store for all of us.
Like a complete unknown

Previous

Return to General Fish Talk