Board index Aquaria Topics Plants Setting up planted tank, looking for guidance

Setting up planted tank, looking for guidance

All things flora.

Moderator: Moderators

iroller Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Looking for someone to answer questions for me, just starting out spent a lot of time online but everyone says onething and when someone says there wrong. Would like to do a planted tank 8 ft long have tank need everything else. Was thinking gold fish but don't know if they do well with plants and if plants how do you clean bottom ? probably easy questions for someone in hobby,I live in burnsville. Thank you Roger 612 483 4827

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:50 pm
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

I haven't kept goldfish for years, but they'll probably uproot everything.

Post Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:02 pm
twinsfan Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

There are a lot of contradictory information because I can read/learn as much as I want to, but if I really want to keep two different kinds of fish together that don’t belong together, there is no one to stop me. I only stop after one fish kills the other so I never try that again. Or it might work and then I go on a forum and proclaim to the world that it works, even though one of the fish is actually suffering the whole time or I might just have 2 extremely mild tempered fish that aren’t typical of their species.

In regards to your goldfish with plants, in general they don’t go together very well. Goldfish do root and they like to eat plants. They like to eat just about anything. There are certain plants that you might be able get away with. I bet anubias would work. Anubias in general, don’t need to be planted, they are usually a thicker/coarser leaf plant compared to most plants and I think they are bitter tasting. Most fish won’t eat anubias. But that doesn’t mean the goldfish won’t initially destroy your first few anubias plants. Also, there are several varieties of anubias so you’ll have to go do more reading :D

In regards to cleaning, it would depend on the substrate you are using. I use eco complete so I just gravel vacuum it like normal. I stick the vac all the way into the substrate and let it suck up the detritus. If you have something finer, try swirling your gravel vac just above the substrate to stir up the detritus and not the substrate. Then let the gravel vac suck up the suspended detritus. Just do what you can. Don’t worry about it being perfect.

You are very lucky to have an eight foot tank. I am envious. However, with growing plants, the length doesn’t matter as much as the height. The taller the tank, the more work light has to do to penetrate the water to reach the plant. You’ll want to read up on PAR and aquarium lighting if you really want to get into plants. Anubias is a low light demanding plant so that’s another plus for using it.

I hope this helps you on your way.

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:55 pm
iroller Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

thanks any planted tank helpers out there ?

Post Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:59 pm
batman User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Just like with anything else, there are rules which are generalizations because they apply to most situations. But if you're willing to test it out, I say go for it. I've got goldfish and plants without any problems. I've got all sorts of plants in a fatboy with three large orandas without any issues.

Post Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:15 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

If you want plants to grow over entire substrate and out of tank, set up CO2 infusion with soft water, add at least 300 watts of light at correct wavelength and fertilize once a week. Moniter pH, kH to determine dissolved CO2.

There are many threads and posts here that have addressed planted tanks. If you have specific questions, provide us water chemistry and plants you wish to grow.
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu May 03, 2018 5:07 pm
iroller Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

That's just it I have no idea what I want, need someone to help guide me, the articles I've read don't give me enough information to make picks they all assume you know something , is it possible to talk to you on the phone you seem very knowable ?

Post Fri May 04, 2018 11:05 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

There are quite a few plant experts here but I am not one of them. I had a planted tank and was successful because I read enough to understand what plants need to thrive (chemistry of water, plant growth, etc).

To understand aquascaping with plants, you need a plant expert. One place to meet the experts is at Minnesota Aquarium Society meeting. Another is to wait for plant person to pick up on this thread. Will move the thread to plant forum.
Like a complete unknown

Return to Plants