Board index Other Stuff General Fish Talk carp virus causes large fish kill in Waseca county

carp virus causes large fish kill in Waseca county

Fish talk not related to a specific species or type of fish.

Moderator: Moderators

AreYouAShoggoth User avatar
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Link to a DNR article:

http://news.dnr.state.mn.us/2017/07/27/virus-that-affects-carp-responsible-for-lake-elysian-fish-kill/#more-19614

Researchers think that the virus may have originated from a released ornamental goldfish or koi.

Snake1oz Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Interesting article thanks for the share

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Thanks for posting this article. I found it very interesting.

Better that it is a carp specific virus vs nonspecific bacterial disease. Nonspecific would also kill game fish.

Carp can be a real problem to native fish and plant species. Also flying carp could knock a human out or even kill someone. A specific carp only virus could be a helpful weapon until the virus mutates. That is the rub and is also why DNR and anyone else is not going to admit that this virus in present form is more helpful than harmful.

What is really needed is a method to keep the virus from mutating to nonspecific type and ensure the virus remains carp specific. Based on past human science, I do not see that happening anytime soon.
Like a complete unknown

seamars Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Snake1oz Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I agree with you Bob that it could be used as a great way to limit the carp numbers in lakes where they need that kind of help. Usually when something happens and works once the next time it happens or is introduced it kills off a certain game fish or all fish that come in contact. Tough risk to take when your talking about trying to use it on a lake like Leech and hope it doesn't kill off the walleyes that have stormed back in numbers since they killed all of the cormorants.

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

I would not vote to use the wild virus. Even if science were to claim the virus was as safe as polio vaccination, I would be hesitant to use it.

However, carp have ruined many lakes for fishing game fish. That is a sad thing for local lakes and ponds where kids walk to fish.

BTW, how were those commorants removed?
Like a complete unknown

Snake1oz Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

They brought in sharp shooters and shot and killed a very large amount of them. It was just enough to allow a few batches of walleye fry to make it where a cormorant can eat four times its weight or some crazy deal like that. The population has started to rise pretty quickly with the birds but the lake got one heck of a jump start as the walleye fishing has been real good the last five years.

Eric N Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Good article on the cormorant issue. https://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/05/08/walleye

Return to General Fish Talk