Board index Other Stuff General Fish Talk Bins/Containers for short term use?

Bins/Containers for short term use?

Fish talk not related to a specific species or type of fish.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon May 15, 2017 9:18 pm
Aqualoon User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I want to move the location of my 125 gallon tank and in the process switch out substrate. Since I'll be home Memorial Day weekend I figure this would be the perfect time as it gives me three days. I've been looking for some used but holding water 55 gallon tanks to hold my stock in and I'm thinking I would need at least 2 (I have 40 tropheus in the 4" range).

Can't seem to find anything so I'm wondering about plastic storage bins/containers. I would want to find ones that could hold my two HOB filters so I can keep them filtered while I tear down, move and bring back up my tank. I would imagine the fish would be in these confines for 1-2 days, depending on how smoothly everything goes.

With that said, what have people used in the past? I'll need something with a lid because I have cats and I don't want them to go fishing in the middle of the night.

Also anyone have a place to buy some light/white sand? I bought play sand from my local hardware store and it's a bit too dark - which is why I want to switch up the substrate.

Post Mon May 15, 2017 9:37 pm
MplsGuy Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Can't help with the buckets question, but if you want nice, uniform-size, very-light-beige-but-not-bone-white sand, Gertens has great play sand for sale right by the front door. It doesn't look unnatural, but it also doesn't look like it came straight from a river bottom because everything is the same size and color.

Post Tue May 16, 2017 10:32 am
d33pVI Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I've used big plastic totes for temporary housing with an HOB on the side. Good budget solution. Lids may be tricky since the sides bow out under the weight of the water, but you could probably use something like cardboard or plywood with some duct tape.

Menards also has some white play sand. I picked up a bag a while back but haven't set up the tank yet.

Post Tue May 16, 2017 11:55 am
Aqualoon User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Thanks for the heads up about Menards, there's one out in Hutch that I go to so will pick some of that up this weekend.

And that's my hesitation with just picking up any plastic bin - is the bowing from the water weight.

Post Wed May 17, 2017 6:07 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Use plastic bushel baskets to hold fish during such an occasion. Each basket could hold 20 gal if filled to rim. More fish need more baskets.

No matter what decor change I attempt, it never takes 3 days. Planning is key and if extra help is needed, then get help lined up days before event day. Once new tank is placed where I want it (with help if necessary). Aquascaping takes maybe 2 hours. Fill with water and add fish back.

At most I may have fish in bushel baskets for 5 hours. If it must be overnight then add airline to basket and cover it to prevent jumping.
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu May 18, 2017 9:15 pm
lifelinefish Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Tropheus stress out pretty easily so make the transition as quick as possible but also making sure they go back into a cycled tank. I love those guys but I have not been able to keep them alive for very long. You have I think, the one key element and that is a large group. Envious!
I have a 46 bowfront that your welcome to use and you know where I live so Let me know.

Post Mon May 22, 2017 2:15 pm
Aqualoon User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

lifelinefish wrote:
Tropheus stress out pretty easily so make the transition as quick as possible but also making sure they go back into a cycled tank. I love those guys but I have not been able to keep them alive for very long. You have I think, the one key element and that is a large group. Envious!
I have a 46 bowfront that your welcome to use and you know where I live so Let me know.

That's exactly what I'm worried about, right now they are doing so well too, I haven't lost a single one. I'm actually thinking of trying to get another 125 gallon tank delivered out to Silver Lake and setting that up and cycling that and THEN moving them over. Cycling wouldn't take long as I currently have 3 seeded filters on my current tank, would just be trying to find someone who would deliver and move the tank in the house out where I live. This route will take the longest (as I don't think I'd find anyone over night willing to do this, would probably take a few weeks to find someone) BUT it would be the safest way for the fish...which is why I have been searching Craigslist lately :D

Oh and the best part - I'd have a free 125 gallon tank to put a GT Pair in plus some dithers and assorted plecos - I love me some Gold Saum.

Return to General Fish Talk