Board index Clubs & Events MAS Central Auction guppies. Would like your opinion.

Auction guppies. Would like your opinion.

Look here for MAS events and announcements.

Moderators: Moderators, MAS Board

Post Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:00 pm
Tanya User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Let me just start by saying I know very little about guppies. Last time I had guppies was a brief experience probably around 10 years ago, so my knowledge base is very minimal and that’s why I need your honest opinions and advice.

I picked up a bag of 3 pairs of tuxedo guppies at the auction on Saturday. I was mesmerized by the beautiful colors on the males and just had this feeling of how great it would be to just have some guppies again after all these years. The bag was small and the females were hard to see, but at a glance they looked fine to me at a time.

I brought the guppies home, put them in their own tank and was enjoying the males beauty for a couple of days. But there was something that started bothering me about the females. Two of the females have flattened and somewhat curved backs. It became a lot more apparent when the guppies relaxed and started exploring their new home. I didn’t remember my last guppies from long time ago having those traits, but figured maybe it just a part of this strain, kind of like different shapes of goldfish. But then it was still bothering me, so I searched the internet and basically got overwhelmed by the multitude of topics on the subject. The consensus seems to be that those are very bad traits and the fish like mine are the rejects that should have been culled, and possibly even sick :( . So I’ve taken a bunch of pictures and would really appreciate your opinions. What do you think? Is it a specific strain of guppies or did I buy myself a bag of someone’s culls? :roll:

Group shot

A couple of males

Female 1

Female 1

Female 2

Female 2

Female 3

Female 3

willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

The females in pictures 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 definitely have bent spines. In your position, I would cull them and get real picky at the next auction.

Willie

MplsGuy Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Sorry that happened to you. I bought a trio of goodeids at the auction, and one was deformed as well. Didn't realize it looking through the bag.

Tanya User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Willie, thank you for evaluating my fish and for giving me your honest opinion. Of all the fish out there I’ve managed to mess up buying guppies :lol:. I’ve read up a lot more on guppies in the last couple of days and can clearly see now that the two lighter colored females are deformed. At least I am more prepared now for my next guppy purchase.

MplsGuy, thank you for your support. Sometimes it is hard to see through those bags and things can be missed. Especially if one doesn’t know to look out for specific problems. I am sorry you ended up with deformed fish as well, but thank you for sharing your experience, reading about it made me realize that things like that just happen sometimes and it made me feel better :D.

As for the sellers who put their name on a bag of deformed or sick fish and bring it to the auction, I really don’t understand it. I can’t think of any good enough reason to do that. Luckily, overwhelming majority of the sellers at the auction are honest people who are willing to sell wonderful stuff at some very reasonable prices and I really appreciate that.

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

MAS rules to sellers are "do not bring culls to auction". We all have culls and at times I have allowed culls to grow out. The reason is to use culls as targets to breeding fish. I would never allow culls to bred.

In the case of culls included in a bag of fry and grow outs, if they were standard type male and female in the bag, then I would discard culls and accept that a higher than the anticipated price was paid for fish I sought.

If all males or all females are culls, I would call the seller and ask for replacement fish that are not culls or for money back. If seller refused, I would contact MAS and explain the situation. It maybe MAS would issue a refund or maybe they would not issue a refund, but I would bet the seller would be contacted by MAS BOD and warned that selling culls is not tolerated and further complaints would prevent participation in MAS auctions.
Like a complete unknown

Return to MAS Central