Board index Clubs & Events MAS Central Central American cichlids maybe large and aggressive

Central American cichlids maybe large and aggressive

Look here for MAS events and announcements.

Moderators: Moderators, MAS Board

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Quite a few Central American (CA) cichlids have a limited appeal to fish keepers. This results in many CA cichlids that are no longer wanted by original keeper and few if any buyers or even takers willing to give these fish a home.

I do not mind the effort of getting this fish to auction. Nor would it bother me to euthanize fish that are homeless. I question whether auction buyers really want to own CA cichlids. It has happened that once a keeper trys CA cichlids, they often become addicted to them.

My question is to bidders at auction really want to keep CA cichlids or are they just attracted by relatively low price?
Like a complete unknown

mister malcontent User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

More than a few changed hands in the parking lot so maybe there is enough of a demand for them. The auction needs more livestock and bidders not less. Maybe it should just be a fish garage sale rather than the cumbersome auction that exists now. Just my tuppenceworth, not being disrespectful !
"I caught a falling star...It cut my hands to pieces"

Level 20 Member

I respectfully disagree. I do not believe there is any demand for CA cichlids. Parking lot transactions are good but until buyers willing to purchase "but ups" for CA cichlids, I am not convinced that buyers are interested.
Like a complete unknown

Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

To be honest this thread makes little sense to me. From the title to the original post its a bit muddled. Not sure what the desired end game is but if it's a 'No Centrals' allowed sign outside the auction or to round up the CA Cichlids and either euthanize or deport them then go for it ! And before someone signs an executive order to delete this post it was typed with tongue planted firmly in cheek. What is going on though Bob ?

Level 20 Member

My first thought was to hear from all those keepers who enjoy keeping CA cichlids. OK I know there are only 3 of us but to hear from the other 2 :wink:
The questions for these CA cichlid lovers are:
You see a species you like at an auction, you would or would not buy it?
You would not buy it because? or You would buy it because?

The other issue is auctioneer. Latin names are difficult to pronounce but certainly identify what is being sold. Labels include descriptive information such as aka red devil or similar but I do not hear the auctioneer reading the descriptive information on about half the items. If I wore my hearing aids to the auction perhaps I would hear more :oops: :oops:

OK now the question is for those who have no idea what a Central American cichlid is and would not recognize one by sight or by name. The question is:
Have you ever bought a large fish because it looked cool?
What did you do with the fish after buying it?
How long did fish survive or how long did you keep it before rehomeing the fish?

If I had better information, I would bring more or bring fewer CA cichlids to the auction. At this time, I suspect there is no market for CA cichlids in Minnesota. Based on my current belief, my auction list will not include CA cichlids.
Like a complete unknown

Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

Ok. So I'm going to revert to ignoring the MAS threads on Minnfish and leave this one to you Bob. Not a member and hardly ever stop by the auction anymore so it's none of my beeswax. Good luck.

Mark K Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Well, eventually I want to have some salvinis and if I get them from a FL canal, and they make it home, great. If not, invasives removed...

I have rarely seen prettier freshwater fish than them.

My two cents.

willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

I really like the look of Central American cichlids. They also seem to have more personality than African cichlids. But I know what they entail and have never brought one into my small fish room.

Willie

Level 20 Member

My current thinking is I ignored many CA cichlids that are not so large and will work in smaller tanks. The same smaller species often coexist in larger tanks with larger species if decor helps to define the space.

The largest CA cichlids are often the top predator in their native environment, thus aggressive. Most, if not all CA cichlids are biparental egg spawners. That is both parents secure breeding site (often in the open), both guard eggs and hatched wigglers, both guard free swimming fry for a few weeks. To accomplish this parenting behavior, both parents must become very aggressive. Once parenting is finished, the pair bond breaks and aggression level falls.

The original post was in part a complaint and in part finding more keepers of large CA cichlids. Yes, it was poorly thought out and poorly stated.
Like a complete unknown

Geokeeper Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Well Bob you know I'm always up for them. Right now I have a large spawn of Rocio octofasciata which in my opinion is one of the most under appreciated American cichlids.

Mark K Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

It turns out that one of the Central American cichlids I got at the auction is a relatively rare fish. Sounds like there is only one breeder left in the US since Rapps called it quits. nautla cichlid

Level 20 Member

I do not know the nautia cichlid. It is not listed on CRC website.
There is a river in Belize named Nautia
Like a complete unknown

Ron User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Curious to know what this cichlid is as well. Any photos?
~6743 gallons

Mark K Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

ImageDSC01417 by mrk525, on Flickr

Ron User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Appears to be a Hericthys deppi.
~6743 gallons

Next

Return to MAS Central