Board index Clubs & Events MAS Central Winter auction results

Winter auction results

Look here for MAS events and announcements.

Moderators: Moderators, MAS Board

Post Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:52 pm
loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's what I learned from today's auction: SHRIMP! MUST HAVE SHRIMP! MONEY MEANS NOTHING! NEED SHRIMP :roll:

I was surprised to see some mainstays selling for next to nothing. I get that Labidochromis caeruleus (yellow labs) are just about as common as you can get, but $3 for a bag of 9 during the first couple hours was the cheapest I've seen those go for in my many, many moons of auction visits.

I thought the surrender program seemed to be a success, although I have no idea how they got the word out to these people.

Picked up a few Aul. lwanda females, a white knight fryeri trio, and a Placidochromis electra trio. All in all, a success.

Post Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:40 am
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Post Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:51 am
loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:42 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

First bag of 3 clown plecos sold for $68 I believe. They are very cute plecos and the successful bidder was quite happy.

There were 2 sellers, not sure if they were both selling same fish though. One seller did add L340 to their bags.

Clown pleco is a common name for the following:

Panaqolas maccus also known as L104, L162, LDA022

Panaqolas sp. L448

Panaqolas sp. L206

Mega clown pleco is common name for:

Hypancistrus sp. L340
Like a complete unknown

Post Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:01 pm
Level 20 Member

Must have been live video feed for Sea Grant HabbitAttidue program that caused folks to jump up, rush down to auction and surrender their fish. These videos were taken on day of auction not prior to auction.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:57 pm
Level 20 Member

There was another issue that I wanted to address.
There were two bags (that I noted) of Mesonauta insignis. The first bag was sold correctly as Mesonauta insignis. However, the second bag label was read by the auctioneer as Mesonauta insignis, then auctioneer stated "OH, this is a festivum" and repeated same again during auction. The auctioneer was wrong, those fish are not festivum. Hopefully, the owner will hold onto the bag and if those fish are ever resold, they will be sold as M. insignis not festivum. Same holds true for the fry.
It is a common error among keepers to refer to any species as Mesonauta. All of making this error are confusing newcomers. The common name for any Mesonauta is flag cichlid not festivum. We all need to stop the confusion.

History of species within genus Mesonauta:
Prior to 1991, there was Cichlasoma festivum. Any fish that looked like festivum was festivum. Then in 1991, Kullander wrote a paper, in which festivum were reassigned to a resurrected genus,Mesonauta. In the same paper Cichlasoma insignis was returned to Mesonauta, Chromys acora was transferred to Mesonauta and two new species were described as members of Mesonauta, egregius and mirificus.
Schindler described M. guyanae in 1998.
Staeck, 2013 suggest a new fish sp. "manapiare" by added to Mesonauta as it is a "flag cichlid".

Flag cichlid is the trade or common name used for many years including those years prior to 1991. There is a dark transverse band that runs from the eye to area just below last rays of dorsal fin, in some species this band extends into the dorsal fin. Many country flags have a similar transverse band across their flags.
Like a complete unknown

Return to MAS Central