Board index Clubs & Events MAS Central Plants @ Auction

Plants @ Auction

Look here for MAS events and announcements.

Moderators: Moderators, MAS Board

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:34 pm
TuCanSam User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I am NOOOO plant expert by any stretch! With that, I have several and I am contemplating bringing plants to the auction.

So question(s):
Is it better/preferred to be labeled as a Valsenaria or Sword (this much I am sure of on all of them) and nothing else, if I don't know for sure?
Or try for answer via web, etc and hope I am right?

My thoughts are less info here is better so I don't mislabel the ones I can't remeber and mislead someone who may be in the boat I am when buying plants.

Your thoughts....

Thanks!
(Missed a couple auctions in a row now so can't wait!)
It all started with a betta and a bowl...

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:33 pm
born ready User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

It is ALWAYS better not to guess on specific species, etc., even with plants. Most folks just want a val or a sword and don't care if it's Vaisnaria americana or another. So guessing doesn't matter to the gal who doesn't care, but to the one who does, she either wind up disappointed (or mad), or worse, may pass along misidentified stuff later (see the LDA-08, mato grosso plecos for that).

It is good though to add any additional info you can to the bag, like how big they grow for you, etc.
Andy

Your tanks aren't too small. Your fish are too big.

Post Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:50 pm
TuCanSam User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Got it. Thats what I thought, have pretty much only done fish in the past, thought I'd run it by...thanks!
Last edited by TuCanSam on Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:02 pm
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

And please don't put water in the plant bags!

Thanks.

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:28 pm
TuCanSam User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

That I do know! Thanks for response!

I have actually brought a few plants over the years...was mostly wondering if I should spend time looking up pics online or go with the generic 'crypt' or 'sword' or whatever...I assumed that was the answer but also didnt want to just throw it at auctioneer with a 'please figure this out for me' sticker... :D

Post Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:37 am
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

For years, I did most of the typing for the auction. Now, sellers get to enter their own information. Nonetheless, I've always felt that the bags with more complete information have a much better chance of getting a higher price. I use to put as much information as I can into the item description for everyone.

That's good for the seller and for the auction. I encourage sellers to do more than the absolute minimum in labeling their bag. It can't hurt and gives buyers more confidence during bidding.

Willie

Return to MAS Central