Board index Clubs & Events MAS Central Pelvicachromis subocellatus

Pelvicachromis subocellatus

Look here for MAS events and announcements.

Moderators: Moderators, MAS Board

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:00 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Well, I'm not so sure I want them to spawn. They're a tank strain. While they look very much like P. subocellatus "Matadi" they are (quote) "so far from wild we can't be sure." Also, some of the females, I guess, have a P. subocellatus "Moanda" marking - shiny scales on belly. I do know that sometimes, in the correct light, they are irridescent, like Congo tetras, and are so beautiful your jaw drops.

Many writings do not differentiate the two.

Can I breed and BAP them if I make sure to say they're a tank strain? But what of the people that THEN breed them? And more and more people think they're the definitive answer to P. subocellatus?

Should I not breed them?
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Netzsche
"Old aquariests never die. They just begin to stink." mk
"So many fish; not enough outlets." mk

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:30 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

BAP rules are on aquarium.mn
Read the rules and then if you still have questions come back then. Ultimately BAP chair determines what is acceptable and what is not.

In my opinion, last month some fish were allowed BAP points that were in violation of rules. This fish were deliberate man made fish.
Also, did seller tell you they were a location morph or cross of two location morphs or simply unknown Providence?
My understanding of rules are
Unknown Providence but clearly recognizable as species are acceptable once for that species.
Man made aquarium strain is acceptable once for one species. Later submissions of other aquarium strains would not be allowed.
Hybrids are not allowed.
Each know location morph is acceptable because location morphs indicate genetic pools are separate and that indicates the genesis of a new species.
Like a complete unknown

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:05 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I think the BAP rules split silly hairs. A hybrid is a hybrid. Period. Whether known tank strain, deliberate cross, unknown providence. I'd feel better if then those [hybrids] that were BAPed were not auctioned off. That, to me, is the club condoning hybrids. They actually profit from them.

My Pelvies are hybrids. End of story. They've no business being BAPed or sold. I may not have known they were hybrids when I BOUGHT them, but I know NOW. When one finds out they're dealing with a hybrid doesn't matter. Before/after, they're still hybrids.

Now, truly, an innocent mistake - someone not knowing there are two morphs and BAPing from hybrids - is different. But I know and know I should not pass along hybrids. I'm not innocent of not knowing there are two subocellatus morphs.

Maybe my Banded Bushfish will have kiddos.

And we need not get into a pissing and shouting match. The above are MY OPINIONS and how *I* feel about it. Don't troll my thread with your thoughts on hybrids. Start your own thread.
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Netzsche
"Old aquariests never die. They just begin to stink." mk
"So many fish; not enough outlets." mk

Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:16 am
Bigbobsguide Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

So I couldn't bap my dragonbloods or ob peacocks? They are an aulonocara species but a hybrid that is readily acceptable in the hobby.

Return to MAS Central