Board index Clubs & Events MAS Central Non-MAS sales at auction

Non-MAS sales at auction

Look here for MAS events and announcements.

Moderators: Moderators, MAS Board

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:43 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I'm going on an ancient memory from years and years ago, so don't kill me. Someone who knows for sure should step in and set me straight if I'm wrong.

I believe it's frowned upon, and may not be allowed, for you to just bring fish to the auction not put them up for auction and sell them on the side - if that is what you were meaning when you said you could bring them to the auction.

Now, if you're bringing them to the auction to AUCTION, that's different. By all means! Bring them and auction them off.

You older guys? Am I right on this?

mk
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Netzsche
"Old aquariests never die. They just begin to stink." mk
"So many fish; not enough outlets." mk

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:06 pm
mister malcontent User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

Free country and certainly not as bad as hi-jacking a "for sale" thread for a rant thats for sure. But hey, frown to your hearts content . Good luck with your sale ltm !
"I caught a falling star...It cut my hands to pieces"

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:14 pm
loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

I moved this off of the sales post, where it doesn't belong, to the MAS Central forum.

MAS certainly has a problem with bringing fish to the auction with the intent to find buyers at the auction. This has happened in the past, and the MAS wasn't happy about it. Understandable.

But, if you have a prearranged deal to sell something, and it's convenient for both parties to meet at the auction, go for it. This is NOT cannibalizing auction sales. If anything, it's probably bringing more bodies to the auction. MAS, because of the violations noted above, got in an uproar over ANY non-auction sales for a while. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

From my perspective, there is no harm in simply meeting at the auction to complete a transaction. If MAS doesn't like it, make the deal in the parking lot.

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:10 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Thank you so much, Loverland, for the edification. I had found a thread from like 2008 and read that and kind'a got a handle on what is allowable and what isn't. But I appreciate your explaining it in one post.

It wasn't a "rant," Malcontent. It was a politely written statement based on what I remember from years ago, admitting that I could possibly be wrong. You are an offensive troll.
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Netzsche
"Old aquariests never die. They just begin to stink." mk
"So many fish; not enough outlets." mk

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:39 pm
ltm Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Sorry for the contraversary guys but I have been coming to these auctions for 20+ yrs . I have always brought fish to the auction besides my presales. I am not putting any of my ad fish on the auction because I will take any remaining fish to the OCA in Cleveland in November. If there is any more whining about this , I will no longer be coming to any Minnesota auctions.
Thanks, Dennis

Post Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:04 pm
loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Everyone is getting all worked up over nothing. It was a reasonable question by mke based on reading an old post, just not put in the appropriate place. Leave sales posts alone unless you have a specific, productive question for the seller related to that post. It's all good.

Matter is closed.

Return to MAS Central