Board index Clubs & Events MAS Central Available fish for members of BAP pledge program

Available fish for members of BAP pledge program

Look here for MAS events and announcements.

Moderators: Moderators, MAS Board

eraserbones Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

This is a repost of an email that I recently sent to people who have pledged to participate in the Breeder's Award Program this year. If you're not on that mailing list yet but are interested in participating, it's not too late -- you can still show up on Thursday and throw your hat in the ring.

------------

For September I have several egg-scattering species available for BAP pledgers.

Easy:

- 'ruby gold' white cloud minnows (Tanichthys albonubes)
- Cherry barbs (Puntius titteya)

Both of these are daily spawners so you'll have a lot of opportunities to collect eggs. The Tanichthys are young adults so they might need to grow for another month or so before they start spawning regularly; the barbs will spawn immediately. For both species the breeding process is the same: Place adults in a planted tank (or over marbles or egg crate). Wait a few days, remove adults. Wait a few more days, count the fry. Fry are fairly easy to feed -- in a planted or dirty tank they'll find enough microorganisms to get them through their first few days, after which they can eat bbs or liquid food or crushed flakes.

Harder:

- Black neon tetra ( Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)

Among tetras, black neons are pretty low maintenance. They lay lots of eggs and have big, sturdy fry. Hatching the eggs is tricky, though -- I've only gotten them to hatch when laid in r/o or distilled water in fairly dark and sterile conditions. I can provide you with two-to-three-month-old young adults. I suspect that they'll be ready to spawn in a month or two, but Randy may chime in with a clearer timeline.

Here's how I spawn tetras (and, again, hopefully Randy will insert his thoughts): I separate the males from the females (males == small and slender, females = bigger and plumper) for a couple of weeks. I set up a small (2.5 or 5-gallon) tank with r/o water and a few layers of egg-crate on the bottom, with a cardboard box over the top of the tank so it's in total darkness. The night before spawning, a pair or two of previously-separated fish go in the tank under the box. First thing in the morning I prop open the box a few inches to let a bit of light in, which is their cue to spawn. If after a few hours they haven't spawned the box goes back down and I try again the next day.

Once I have eggs I remove the adults from the tank and cover the tank back up for three or four days until the fry are free-swimming. I haven't had any trouble feeding them if they make it that far.

Because they can spawn in such a small tank, you don't need a proper r/o system -- you can just buy some distilled water in gallon jugs at the grocery store. Note, though, that instantly transferring adults from hard water to distilled water will damage their gills, so if you keep the adults in hard suburban water you'll have to devote a few days to acclimating them to the spawning tank.

- Microrasboras

If you have an empty planted tank that you're willing to devote to a longer-term project, I have small groups of Boraras merah and Bororas urophthalmoides to give away. These guys top out at about 3/4 of an inch and require very tiny food. I feed them bbs daily; they might eat some dried foods but I haven't tried.

If you keep the adults happy (planted tank in a quiet spot) they'll spawn frequently and some fry will grow up alongside the parents. The adults are nervous, though, and I've had varying luck with them depending on their tank. The B. merah didn't spawn for several months until I blacked out one end of their tank at which point they settled down enough to lay some eggs. I'm sure the newly hatched fry are impossibly tiny but I never see the young until they're bigger.

I have all of the above to bring to Thursdays meeting for the standard $2 donation. Please email me before Wednesday night if you're interested.

-A

Return to MAS Central