Board index Clubs & Events MAS Central Never been to a MAS meeting. Want some info please

Never been to a MAS meeting. Want some info please

Look here for MAS events and announcements.

Moderators: Moderators, MAS Board

FatHeadMinnow Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

So I read that these meetings are held on the first Friday of every month? So not this friday but next Friday will be when the march meeting is held/

What does it all entail? I don't have a membership but I want to come and check it out. Would that be okay?

Hope to hear back from you guys soon! Thanks! :)
29 Gallon
1xLabidochro Caeruleus Cichlid
1xPseudotropheus Demasoni Cichlid
1xMetriaclima Estherae Cichlid (mean little guy...lol)
3xSynodontis Petricola Catfish
2xFat Head Minnows
55 gallon on the way!

Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Meetings are the 1st thursday of each month at 7:15pm, the next one is on the 7th of march. Meeting topics, location and lots more info can be found at http://aquarium.mn/
This months topic is on how to show fish.

The meetings start with announcements about club business (upcoming events, meeting topics, etc..) then a speaker on that month's topic. After that are the Horticulturalist award program (HAP) and Breeders award program (BAP) auctions, where fish and plants bred by club members are auctioned off.

You are welcome to come to the meetings without being a member, but you do need to join to bid on the hap/bap auctions. If you want to become a MAS member you can do so right at the meeting, just bring $15 in the form of cash or check.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

FatHeadMinnow Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Thanks for the reply. This sucks though I will never be able to attend if these are on Thrusdays. I can only do Fridays. I read somewhere that these were held on Fridays? I must have mis read. This is super unfortunate. I got all excited for nothing lol. Any other clubs around that have different meeting days? Milwakee aqurium society maybe?
29 Gallon
1xLabidochro Caeruleus Cichlid
1xPseudotropheus Demasoni Cichlid
1xMetriaclima Estherae Cichlid (mean little guy...lol)
3xSynodontis Petricola Catfish
2xFat Head Minnows
55 gallon on the way!

Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

We do host regular auctions on saturdays, the next one is scheduled for April 27th. You should also try and make it out for the Annual Fish Show, April 6th and 7th.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

fasttalon94 User avatar
Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

Does anyone know if that guy will be bringing those sponge filters next time? They are much quieter than the hydors.
If you don't put a location in your for sale ad that must mean you're willing to deliver.

Soup3777 User avatar
Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

If I join MAS- are there people selling rare shrimps such as oebt, orange sakuras, crs, painted fires,?

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Soup3777 wrote:
If I join MAS- are there people selling rare shrimps such as oebt, orange sakuras, crs, painted fires,?

No

There is no open selling at meetings. Private transactions occur but are the result of pre arranged deals.
BAP/HAP auction occurs at meetings. Occasionally shrimp appear in this auction but none in the last six months.

A member will be giving a shrimp talk in the coming months, perhaps May. Check aquarium.mn for more information.
Like a complete unknown

Level 20 Member

FatHeadMinnow wrote:
Thanks for the reply. This sucks though I will never be able to attend if these are on Thrusdays. I can only do Fridays. I read somewhere that these were held on Fridays? I must have mis read.

Partial misread perhaps.

When MAS invests a considerable sum to bring in a speaker from some distance to speak at MAS meeting on Thursday, MAS then attempts to have speaker give a second talk on Friday. These second talks are generally in a member's home. Typically only members attend these Friday night talks but occasionally a member may bring a non member friend with to attend some of these Friday night presentations.

MAS annual show is coming up on April 5, 6 and 7. Check to see who will speak on Friday evening the 5th. More speakers on Saturday afternoon on 6th and then speakers on Sunday the 7th too.

BTW, at one time I attempted to start a movement to change meeting night from Thursday to Friday. I have finally gotten rid of the feathers but this tar is going to take a few more years to get off.
Like a complete unknown

Level 20 Member

fasttalon94 wrote:
Does anyone know if that guy will be bringing those sponge filters next time? They are much quieter than the hydors.

Bruce Cameron sells some sponge filters at MAS meetings. I believe he is selling them at cost or perhaps a little more than cost with money going to MKKA, I think. (Most if not all MKKA members are also MAS members) Bruce is pretty regular at monthly meetings.
Like a complete unknown

Soup3777 User avatar
Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Passionfish wrote:
fasttalon94 wrote:

Bruce Cameron sells some sponge filters at MAS meetings. I believe he is selling them at cost or perhaps a little more than cost with money going to MKKA, I think. (Most if not all MKKA members are also MAS members) Bruce is pretty regular at monthly meetings.

what is MKKA and which brand or sponges are quieter than hydors?

Nzac User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

minnesota killie keepers association?
I have some scaley and a few not so scaley creatures living in glass houses full of water in the other room

Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

MKKA is the local killifish club, the filters are the double sponge variety that suction onto the inside of your tank. I use them in all my small tanks without crayfish (crays tear apart the sponge) and really like them. They have telescoping uplift tubes that can be set at the water's surface to avoid loud bubbling.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Return to MAS Central