Board index Clubs & Events MAS Central BAP points for shrimp, crayfish, etc.

BAP points for shrimp, crayfish, etc.

Look here for MAS events and announcements.

Moderators: Moderators, MAS Board

Post Tue May 15, 2012 11:18 am
eraserbones Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I just sent the following (unsolicited) proposal to Randy, the BAP chair. I'm cross-posting here in case it's of interest to anyone. I welcome your comments!

Proposal to the MAS BAP committee regarding the scoring of invertebrates

== Terminology ==

First of all, I think the generic term 'invertebrate' should be avoided in the BAP guidelines. No one really wants points awarded for pond snails, hydra or daphnia. Similarly, the current phrase ' all marine fish, invertebrates, and soft-bodied animals' troubles me because it suggests a 25 point award for a coral frag, which seems a bit excessive.

So, what follows uses the word 'decapod' and is intended specifically to address shrimp, crayfish, crabs, etc. 'Crustacean' would also be an adequate term, although it encompasses more species generally regarded as feeders.

It probably also makes sense to specify other invertebrate categories (e.g. a few points for a coral frag, a few points for a briggs snail, a ton of points for a nerite snail, etc.) but I can't claim any expertise in that area, so I'll leave that up to others.

== Status quo policy ==

The current policy (as best I can tell) looks like this:

Class A 5 points:

All invertebrates with a fully freshwater life-cycle

Class D 20 points:

Invertebrates: C. multidentata and other amphidromous species

Class E 25 points:

Invertebrates: All marine species

Pros: simple, established

Cons: Doesn't distinguish between easier or more challenging species; awards an awful lot of points for cutting a colonial species in half.

== Reproduction strategy policy ==

Mustafa at petshrimp.com uses three 'larvae' categorizations: normal (with a multi-phase planktonic development), abbreviated (with a single-phase or brief planktonic stage), and suppressed (offspring are miniature adults.)

That might be a sensible division to use, as those different reproduction strategies relate roughly to difficulty in breeding. Something like this:

Class A 5 points:

Caridina and Neocaridina species not mentioned elsewhere. All crayfish and other freshwater decapods with fully-developed offspring

Class B 10 points:

P. paludosus, Caridina species 'malaya' and other freshwater species with large, freshwater planktonic offspring

Class C 15 points:

Marine decapods with large or fully-formed offspring (e.g. Halocardina species, Mysis species.)

Class D 20 points:

Caridina multidentata, Caridina serratirostris, Xiphocaris elongata, and other amphidromous species or pure-freshwater species with a larval stage lasting more than 30 days.

pros: Simple, doesn't require any value judgements.
cons: Doesn't distinguish between easier or harder species.

== Difficulty policy ==

This is similar to the previous policy but includes some value judgements about 'hard' species. It probably comes the closest to awarding points-for-effort that are equivalent to those awarded for fish, but may also require more active maintenance on the part of the BAP committee.

Class A 5 points:

All Neocaridina species. Crayfish species not mentioned elsewhere.

Class B 10 points:

All Caridina species not mentioned elsewhere (e.g. Crystal Red shrimp, C. babaulti complex). Cambarellus species. All other crayfish with adult size of greater than 6". Other decapods not mentioned elsewhere (includes Macrobrachium species with fully-formed offspring).

Class C 15 points:

Decapods with brief, freshwater plankton stages: P. paludoses, Caridina sp. 'malaya', etc. Marine decapods with fully-formed offspring (e.g. Halocaridina species, some Mysis species.)

Class D 20 points:

Caridina multidentata, Caridina serratirostris, Xiphocaris elongata, Machrobrachium rosenbergii, other amphidromous decapods (e.g. most fiddler crabs) or pure-freshwater decapods with a larval stage lasting more than 30 days. Lysmata wurdemanni (marine).

Class E 25 points:

All other marine decapods.

pros: Provides good granularity based on the challenge of each species. Awards more points for invertebrates than currently.

cons: Awards more points for invertebrates than currently (some 'fishists' might regard this as bad ) The specific mention of species opens the door to future BAP committee homework as new species enter the hobby or gain a reputation as hard or easy.

Return to MAS Central