Board index Clubs & Events MAS Central MAS membership - why join?

MAS membership - why join?

Look here for MAS events and announcements.

Moderators: Moderators, MAS Board

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:07 pm
jordyndean Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

i also like to support things that help the hobby. sent in my $15 on march 9th. no word and check not cashed. sent to address below. hope i get something before dues are up again.

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:15 pm
BobC User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

The post office box only gets checked once or twice a month. Your check would have arrived after the contents of the box were picked up before the March meeting. There was a check when I picked up the mail before the April meeting, but with the excitement surrounding the show I forgot to give it to the membership chair until the board meeting last thursday. I'm sure that she'll be processing it soon and you'll hear more shortly.

Sorry for the confusion and the delay.
Bob Carter

MAS, AKA, MKKA, WAKO

Show your fish - enter a show!!! Bowl Shows monthly at MAS meetings.

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:39 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

jordyndean wrote:
i also like to support things that help the hobby. sent in my $15 on march 9th. no word and check not cashed. sent to address below. hope i get something before dues are up again.

MAS BOD has taken note that new members that cannot attend monthly meetings can feel as if they are abandoned.
Membership chair with assistance is putting together a new members packet. Most of it may be pointers to areas on aquarium.mn that explain facets of society. After looking it over, new members may then jump into an area they are interested in. Many do not actually jump in but just attend monthly meetings which is OK.

If there is something on web site that looks interesting but would like to talk it over with a committee member or BOD member, aquarium.mn has a list of email addresses. Use these addresses to contact someone for emailing back and forth or get a phone number and talk via phone.

If you are not getting at least one email a month from MAS, contact both membership chair to find out if membership is register or not. Also contact AquaNews editor and have your email added to list.
Contact these folks from email list on aquarium.mn.
Like a complete unknown

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:53 am
Level 5 Member

thank you both for quick response. i will give more time. i did enjoy the show at the vfw. first one i have gone to in many years. the raffles were fun. also pick up the monthly mas book. thanks

mas

Post Sun May 29, 2011 6:43 pm
Level 5 Member

well, nine more days and it will be three months since i sent in membership fee. check still not cashed. i do not feel abandoned and never will attend a mtg, just wanted to support the club. going to cancell check and forget this. a full 1/4 of a year is a little ------. try another business after doing some research on cust service.

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:16 pm
sosnarfy User avatar
Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Why should you join the MAS? I'll tell you why. In addition to all the points touched on in previous posts, there is just nothing else out there like the MAS.

I moved to Portland, OR about a year and a half ago now. I desperately miss the friendships, the camaraderie, the competitiveness in the BAP/HAP programs amongst friends, the BAP/HAP auctions, the access to GREAT fish, plants, resources and knowledge base. I miss the amazing auctions, the monthly meetings, the organization of the club, the speakers and the ability to share a passion with SO MANY like-minded folks.

I finally decided to give another club a try and headed to the local aquarium society. Sure, they seemed like nice folks, but the club seems SMALL by comparison and not nearly as well organized. Not one person attempted to reach out and introduce themselves and the club to the new blond chick sitting in the back row. I hope I'm wrong and things are better than they seemed last night. It sure wasn't the MAS.

Why should you join the MAS? Because you have no idea how amazing you have it there in frigid MN. Because the MAS is awesome. Plain and simple.

Happy fish keeping!

Dani
~D

I miss my fish.

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:33 pm
Level 20 Member

Thanks Dani.
It was mostly you though. You are fearless and make friends easily. Your interests dovetailed with many members and they wanted to be your friend and talk to you. You volunteered. You were a good infusion to MAS.
Like a complete unknown

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:40 pm
Beaker User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Wish this board gave us the ability to "like" a post :| I would certainly click it on Dani's, yes I would. hehe
°•¤{ Brian }¤•°
Trusted MFK seller since 2010
Lightening fast Text responses.

Click to visit UnderwaterRetreats.com

Image Please Like my facebook page. Thanks!

If you send me a text please include...
- - Your name & MinnFish nickname - -

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:42 pm
Level 20 Member

jordyndean wrote:
well, nine more days and it will be three months since i sent in membership fee. check still not cashed. i do not feel abandoned and never will attend a mtg, just wanted to support the club. going to cancell check and forget this. a full 1/4 of a year is a little ------. try another business after doing some research on cust service.

MAS PO Box is checked more often than every 3 months Jordy. I suspect your check was lost in mail. If MAS cashed your check and you feel that MAS was a poor investment, let me know. I will arrange a refund if you can show that MAS cashed the check.

Jordy, MAS is mostly a face to face society. MAS has a website (aquarium.mn) and sends e mail reminders to members. That is about it for virtual communication. The rest is face to face interactions at meetings, auctions, show, darter hunt, etc. Those folks that join at a meeting are typically happy members. The reason they are happy is they like spending face to face time with other members.
Another method to chat up members is volunteer to be a runner at auctions. Standing in line will result in meeting existing members and find out what they are keeping and give you a chance to tell others what you are doing.
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:34 am
Templeflower Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Can the MAS folks tell me how often the new membership packets go out? I joined and paid my dues online, early August. I'm just curious to see when I should expect my info to arrive?

Also- a bit of an odd question. I really want to attend the October auction, but I will be hugely pregnant/close to delivery. Probably not the best time to go. Can I send a proxy on my behalf to the auction?

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:02 pm
Level 20 Member

Yes Karen, you can send a proxy to auction.
Members benefits only apply to sellers at auctions. Members that are bidding do not get a price break. However, many bidders are members in order to recieve updates on MAS calendar. If you are selling under your name, that is not a problem because a check will be mailed to you. As long as your proxy places your name on your sale items you will get paid.

It was my understanding that MAS continues to provide new member packets to new members. It has been some time since Board of Directors discussed new member packets. Perhaps we need to review the delivery method and if we are getting packets to new members. We may need to have an digitizied version of member packet if we do not have one. If we have a digitizied version, it is possible that current membership chair does not have that version. We need to get this sorted out. Unfortunately, BOD will not meet again until 2nd week in September. Regular monthly meeting is 1st Thursday of month. Those attending can speak to membership chair then.

As an alternative, I may have an old version of membership packet and can provide that to you.
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:42 pm
Templeflower Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Thanks Bob. I just wanted to make sure I had what I needed to attend a MAS event if baby/scheduling allows. Plus I'm sure there is some helpful info in the packets.

Unless the plants go crazy, I am not planning on having anything to sell, but hope to next year! I definitely was hoping to find a few fish for the new 46 at the auction tho.

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:59 pm
Todd a Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I sent a check for a membership MAS last year before the spring auction & it was never cashed? Do I need to be a member to sell at the upcoming winter auction?

Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:31 pm
SupeDM User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

acually you can buy membership right at auction. I myself am behind on my anual dues and will be taking care of that at auction.
125 gallon Mixed African Cichlid
125 gallon Furcifer Kigoma 90 gallon Mixed Malawi
75 gallon Mbuna growout
5x55 gallon Peacock colonies
40 breeder Furcifer Ruzibra growing out.
5x20 High growouts and projects.
55 gallon Archocentrus Semperfasciatus

Post Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:23 am
Level 20 Member

Todd a wrote:
I sent a check for a membership MAS last year before the spring auction & it was never cashed? Do I need to be a member to sell at the upcoming winter auction?

Send an email to president@aquarium.mn, President will turn over you email to membership chair and Pat will let you know where you stand with membership status or just ask Pat at auction next week.
Like a complete unknown

PreviousNext

Return to MAS Central