Board index Clubs & Events MAS Central MAS membership - why join?

MAS membership - why join?

Look here for MAS events and announcements.

Moderators: Moderators, MAS Board

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:55 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Folks ask me why join when attendance at meetings are free, web site is free, digital AquaNews is free, attendance at auctions is free and use of MFK is free.

Here are some reasons I joined and some reasons that may appeal to others. I have probably missed some benefits. If you are aware of more benefits than those listed here please post them.

NON FINANCIAL
1. Feel part of an organization that promotes excellence in fish keeping.

2. Feel good about our organization bringing National Experts to Minnesota. Being able to speak to one of our speakers one on one is so much better than phone or email.

3. Participate in MAS Breeder Award Program (BAP) and Horticulturist Award Program (HAP). These programs document our progress within the hobby.

4. Opportunity to be involved in MAS annual fish show. This event is a time for many members to take a few days off work and really enjoy the hobby.

FINANCIAL
1. Participate in buying Breeder Award Fish Auction and Horticulturist Award Plant Auction. These auctions are held monthly at a meeting. Non members are not allowed to bid.

2. Participate in Plant Extravaganza. This event is held in December. Only members are allowed to purchase plants at wholesale prices.

3. At each of MAS major auctions held in January April and October, members are charged 25% of sale price. Non members are charged 30% of sale price.

4. At MAS annual show, members are allowed five free show entries. Non members must pay $2 per show entry.

5. Show speaker attendance is free to MAS members. Charge to non members is $10.
Last edited by Passionfish on Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:31 pm
pbdragon User avatar
MAS Board Member
MAS Board Member

Only MAS members are allowed to check out hobby related materials from the MAS library.

MAS members receive Book Points for participating in the BAP/HAP programs, bowl show and Aqua News, allowing them to get FREE books from MAS.

These are just a couple that popped into my head for now. :)

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:43 pm
dnrdarryl Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I joined because I see the funds going to bringing in REALLY good speakers, etc. Also the meetings, auctions, shows, etc. are well equipped and organized, and at good locations. Communications (ie magazine, internet site, etc) are awesome! A large membership attracts more attention from retailers, wholesalers, local gov't., etc. Also because I'm lazy and live far away I'd rather pay someone else to do these things for me. :-)
Greg Hanson

It's not a cup, it's a fish tank with a handle. :-)

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:16 pm
Shokubutsu-San User avatar
Level 12 Member
Level 12 Member

Passionfish wrote:
Folks ask me why join when attendance at meetings are free, web site is free, digital AquaNews is free, attendance at auctions is free and use of MFK is free.

Well, all this stuff does well because MAS exists. If not enough people join MAS, all these "freebies" will cease to exist, at least in their present most useful form.

Paying dues helps keep all this stuff going.

Joining lets you participate in HAP/BAP which helps focus your hobby so you become much more knowledgeable and useful to the hobby.

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:26 pm
Level 20 Member

Special Events - Darter Hunt, Koi Acres, Trout Farm, Mississsippi Bio etc

Store discounts - attempting to revive this one, check with Jen as to where we are with this

Informal Friday night gatherings in homes
Like a complete unknown

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:00 pm
johnthum Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I have been a member since I was 7years old when we had little auctions, and small amount of members.... was fun then, and although I live to far away for meetings, I do get to the auctions to BS and see old faces, and new.

John

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:22 pm
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

I join just to keep an eye on PassionFish.

Willie :)

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:58 pm
jimithing76 Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

What is the cost of the membership? IS IT anually renewed or are you a member for life?
thanks

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:30 pm
pbdragon User avatar
MAS Board Member
MAS Board Member

jimithing76 wrote:
What is the cost of the membership? IS IT anually renewed or are you a member for life?
thanks

I believe the cost is $12 for a single membership, $15 for a family. Add $5 per year if you want a text only copy of the AquaNews mailed out to you. (The online version has all the photos and is much better and easily printed out for future reading). Check the MAS website to confirm the price. As of right now your membership will have to be renewed each year. If there is interest in having a 5 year membership for a slight discount, it can be brought up to the Board. For example, instead of $12 per year for a single membership a 5 year membership could be purchased for $50 vs. $60 if purchased each year. This might help some of the more forgetful folks out there (myself included).

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:57 pm
Level 20 Member

I think cost is $15 year for single or family.

It is $5 per year extra to have text only AN mailed to your home. Otherwise download AN off web or pick up copy at meeting for no extra charge.
Like a complete unknown

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:54 am
ltcory User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I will add... $15 is chump change when compared to the deals you will make when participating in the HAP/BAP auctions. Then add to that the connections with other fish keepers and breeders local to the TC and greater Minnesota... the price is very nominal.
Cory M.

Post Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:39 pm
Jdub User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I joined - really? $15! Why not. Help promote the hobby we love. Besides I may want to BAP. Chump change. Skip buying one fish in a year and you're in.

Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:06 pm
Cheapeeper Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

How do you join? Is there someone I could mail my member ship money to to join as a family membership?
We live up in Elk River and I'd have to mail in my membership dues as the meetings are kinda out of my way.
I wana join and be a member.

Sharon in Elk River
55 gallon with 1 Tiger Oscar.
30 gallon with a pair of Black Convicts.
10 gallon hospital tank with 1 Black Convict.

Post Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:12 am
Level 20 Member

Cheapeeper wrote:
How do you join? Is there someone I could mail my member ship money to to join as a family membership?
We live up in Elk River and I'd have to mail in my membership dues as the meetings are kinda out of my way.
I wana join and be a member.

Sharon in Elk River

Find other folks from your area that may be attending meetings, ask for a ride, offer to give them a few dollars for gasoline.
To help sort out which meetings that appeal to you, check the following website at least once a month
http://www.mn-aquarium.org/index.php

Do not forget to explore the website fully. It is my understanding that webmaster will recreate this website when he finds the time. Currently, there may be some information there that seems a bit odd.
Like a complete unknown

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:14 pm
myang07 User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

The upcoming Plant meeting/sale alone itches me to join...
snap.grin photography
http://snapgrinphotography.com

Next

Return to MAS Central