Board index Clubs & Events MAS Central Big Fall Auction Coming

Big Fall Auction Coming

Look here for MAS events and announcements.

Moderators: Moderators, MAS Board

Post Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:33 pm
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Brad Swanson, the Auction Chair, will be announcing details of the big Fall auction at the next MAS Membership Meeting on Thursday, Oct 1, 7 PM. The meeting is open to everyone, but you'll have to pre-register at https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJMvf-iprjMuG9Dplx37wtc4MKtFINzriSG2 to log in.

Also, Pam Chin is the featured speaker this month and she'll be showing underwater videos of cichlids in Zambia.

Post Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:19 pm
TM Aquatics Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Will sellers have the ability to set a reserve price?

Post Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:15 am
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Yes. Like the in-personal auctions, there will be a $2 fee/item to set a minimum price. If the minimum price is not met, then the item is not sold. Otherwise, all items start at $5.

Post Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:13 am
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

The virtual auction will begin on Oct. 14, a week from today. We're expanding it to include both hard goods and livestock. SELLERS will enter items for sale on that Wednesday and BUYERS can start their bidding at the same time. All sold items will be dropped off (10 am - noon) and picked up (noon - 2 pm) on Saturday, Oct. 24, at Redemption Lutheran Church, which was where we used to do the in-person auctions.

This event is open only to MAS members. If you're not sure if your membership is still valid, go to the MAS site at http://www.aquarium.mn. If you're prompted to log in, then you're not a member. If you're already logged in, then you're all set!

HINT: If you have stuff to sell, now is the time to get them organized, cleaned and photographed to register for the auction.

Post Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:38 pm
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

SELLERS Instructions:

- Registration of sales items begins on Wednesday, 10/14.
- Fish must be double bagged. Do not fill bags of plants full of water. Due to the short turnaround required of our volunteers for sorting, MAS reserve the right to charge a penalty or refuse to accept leaking bags.
- Actual photographs of hard goods are required. Photography is strongly encouraged for livestock. You'll also be able to provide a link to a reference website.
- You may set a reserve price for a non-refundable $2 fee/item. Otherwise, all items will start at $5.
- At the end of the auction, you will receive a list of sold items and printable labels for your bags. Labels are 2" X 4" (Avery 5263). If you cannot get the Avery label, you can print them out on plain paper and tape them to the item. Every item must have an auction label.
- Each seller is limited to 20 items, with a 5-bag maximum of identical items.
- Drop off items at Redemption Lutheran Church on Saturday, 10/24 from 10 AM - noon.
- Weather permitting, large items will be kept outside. Livestock and smaller hard goods will be brought inside the gym.

- Masks are required.
- Everyone entering the church must be registered for contact tracing.
Last edited by willie on Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:36 am
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

BUYERS Instructions:

- Bidding starts Wednesday, Oct 14.
- All items will start at $5. Thanks to Randy Carey, an Autobid system is now available. Place your maximum bid and the system will bid for you up to that value.
- Bidding ends at 10 PM on Wednesday, Oct 21. MAS is not responsible if you try to bid in the last minutes and the bid does not go through.
- Payment is due on Thursday, Oct 22 through the MAS website only (PayPal and credit card accepted).
- $5 penalty will be assessed for late payment.
- If no payment is received by Friday, MAS will instruct SELLER not to bring the item for drop off.
- Pick up at Redemption Lutheran Church from 12:30 - 2 pm on Saturday, Oct 24. SELLERS can pick up their items at noon.
- MAS will send you a list of your winning bids. Please bring this list with you and know your bidder number.
- Bring a weather appropriate container for livestock.

- Masks are required for pick up.
- Everyone entering the church must be registered for potential contact tracing.

Post Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:11 am
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Auction starts tomorrow (Wednesday, Oct 14). I've edited the SELLERS and BUYERS instructions for better clarity so please re-read these if you plan to participate. We haven't had an auction awhile so there should be a lot of stuff FOR SALE. :D

Post Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:30 pm
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Well, they started the auction early. Several items have already been listed for sale. At least one BUYER is using the Autobid option and one SELLER is using the MINIMUM BID option. So far, the system seems to be working. :P

The way we've set up the MINIMUM BID option is that any bid under the minimum is outbid using the Autobid function, up to that MINIMUM BID price. Rest assured that the SELLER is not bidding against you on his/her own item. That's just the way we've set the system up.

Have fun!

Post Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:46 am
TheTropics Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Not sure if I missed an instruction or if the system isn't working properly. I've tried to set a minimum on a couple of my items, but just get the spinning graphic of death. Wednesday morning between 9:30 and 10:45, so far. Just me?

Post Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:27 pm
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

It's been working for me. If the problem persists, send me a PM with your email/phone and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

Post Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:41 pm
eraserbones Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

TheTropics wrote:
just get the spinning graphic of death.

I see this behavior too, in firefox. In Chrome I'm able to use the auto-bidding feature. I have https-everywhere on my firefox install which might be part of it.

Post Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:58 am
willie Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

~200 items on sale. Bidding ends Wednesday at 10 PM. There's an Autobid system in place to set maximum bids, so don't wait until the last minute!

Return to MAS Central