Board index Headquarters MFK Announcements Spam

Spam

Look here for news/changes/updates/etc regarding this forum.
Post Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:41 pm
loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

We're trying to get a handle on the recent wave of spam that has hit the forum. We add spam counter measures, and eventually, spambots figure out a way around. Then we do the dance again.

If you recently registered on the forum, but haven't yet activated your account, it's possible your account may have been deleted. We're trying to clean up the glut of spam accounts clogging up the site.

Also, until we get the spam slowed down, I'm requiring that all new accounts be approved by me. So, once you register, you'll have to wait until I can get to your account before you can post. This is an inconvenience, and as soon as we get a handle on the spam, I'll turn this off.

Thanks for your patience! In the meantime, if you see a spam post, hit the REPORT button and we'll clean it up. Thanks!

Post Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:20 pm
loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

We had spam under control for about a month or two. But, it seems that they've figured out our new system. It's not a huge deal. We just have to tinker and adjust things a bit until the spam stops again.

If you find a spam post, please continue to hit the REPORT button on that post. This makes it MUCH easier for me to quickly spot the culprits. Thanks! Hopefully, we'll get things spam-free again shortly.

Caution: while adjusting things, it's possible to see an increase in spam as we try to find the settings that work best. Hang in there with us! We'll get it taken care of.

Post Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:04 pm
loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

A new wave of spambots have found their way into the forum. I'm making some adjustments that will hopefully keep them out.

Post Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:57 pm
loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Once again, the spammers found their way in here. I've updated a few things to help keep them out. Thanks for your patience. Hopefully, we'll see less spam going forward.

Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:31 pm
loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

As you probably have seen, we got clubbed with spam in the past 24 hours. I've got it all cleaned up now, and all of the inactive spam accounts have been deleted. I changed our registration settings again, so hopefully this will slow them down.

Again, thanks for your patience. No one is as annoyed with these spammer assholes than I am. :evil:

Return to MFK Announcements