Board index Fish Talk Community Fish Cardinal Tetras

Cardinal Tetras

Anabantids, characins, ciprinids, rainbows, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:12 pm
Zuchenheimer Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Hey guys,
I have a 20 gallon long that I was looking to restock. Previously, I had some guppies in there but I have transferred them to my 10 Gallon with a breeder so I can raise the fry. I am left with a well planted, and empty tank except for a 1 year old female betta, a few ram's horn snails, 3 otocinculi (lol idk the plural for it) and 10 ghost shrimp. My friend suggested cardinal tetras, however I have heard that they are much hardier and less hardier than their more popular cousins, neon tetras.
Any advice on care, or other community fish to get?

Post Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:44 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I, personally, cannot recommend Congo tetras high enough. They are interesting and learn quickly when it's feeding time. They're curious, energetic swimmers and are gorgeous, particularly if front lit. I am very partial to them. :D I was very surprised to see how pretty they truly are. You know, you frequently read a fish is "gorgeous," and I just go, "Yeah. Uh-huh." It was an exciting pleasure to see they are as beautiful as written.

I'm not sure how many you could have in a 20g. I'm going to have 10 in a 40g, but I do have other fish. If you should combine them with other fish, I *believe* there are no cautions other than do not keep them with fin nippers because of their beautiful fins. I don't think you have to worry about them bothering others.

Between cardinals and neons, I think the cardinals are prettier. I've always been partial to them. A large school of them in a 20 would, I think, be quite beautiful.
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Netzsche
"Old aquariests never die. They just begin to stink." mk
"So many fish; not enough outlets." mk

Return to Community Fish