Board index Fish Talk Community Fish Starting a Very large community tank

Starting a Very large community tank

Anabantids, characins, ciprinids, rainbows, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:29 pm
turkeyboy85 Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I have a 480 gallon tank that I am going to convert into a community tank. I have always kept stingrays and I decided to go a different way.

What do you guys suggest to stock it with.

I am thinking a bunch of neon tetras, red head geos, clown loach?.... what else?
Your "Minnesota Nice" Stingray breeder
PM for current stock info

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:42 pm
checkie_check Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

WOW! That sounds so fun to set up a 480 gallon community tank.

But I was thinking of maybe some marble hatchet fish for top water.
A large group of corydoras for the bottom always looks very nice.

But that's just two ideas. such a big tank, and so many options that I can't think right now lol.

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:24 pm
TuCanSam User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I may a bit bias, but.....I say loach heavy! More than big enough tank for them to 'be themselves' and a very enjoyable show for you....get a batch and set up a current for them to play in...

Any community should be a fantastic tank to watch at that size..

**pics would be great when you're up and running**
It all started with a betta and a bowl...

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:21 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Neon tetras will be consumed by red head Tapajos. Not all in one day but eventually they will be consumed.
In a tank, even a large tank be careful to select fish that do not fit in mouths of other fish. Whether fish is predator or omnivore, it will eat other fish. Only a true herbivore could be trusted with tetras.

There are many genus and species within genus of cichlids that would coexist in a large tank with plants, rock and wood. Red head Tapajos is a beautiful cichlid. I also would love to watch a large shoal of Corydoras, various Loricariids, larger tetras such as diamond tetra (in a school of course).

Even if mouths cannot swallow another fish, I would prefer not to see a mammoth herbivore with a small mouth in a tank with smaller fish, IMO that would distract from overall effect.

In the end, there is only one person that must be satisfied. Best of luck with your project.
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:50 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Passionfish wrote:
Neon tetras will be consumed by red head Tapajos. Not all in one day but eventually they will be consumed.
In a tank, even a large tank be careful to select fish that do not fit in mouths of other fish. Whether fish is predator or omnivore, it will eat other fish. Only a true herbivore could be trusted with tetras.

There are many genus and species within genus of cichlids that would coexist in a large tank with plants, rock and wood. Red head Tapajos is a beautiful cichlid. I also would love to watch a large shoal of Corydoras, various Loricariids, larger tetras such as diamond tetra (in a school of course).

Even if mouths cannot swallow another fish, I would prefer not to see a mammoth herbivore with a small mouth in a tank with smaller fish, IMO that would distract from overall effect.

In the end, there is only one person that must be satisfied. Best of luck with your project.

Well. I've nothing more or better to say. Nope.

I second the corys. Like a TON of them. I think they'd be as fun as the loaches, I guess. I'd go with just SO MANY and I'd get the lazer green ones. I'm partial to green.

You are really lucky! Have fun and, yes, we'll need pics - even as you go along would be fun.

mk
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Netzsche
"Old aquariests never die. They just begin to stink." mk
"So many fish; not enough outlets." mk

Post Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:09 am
willie Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

A school of altum angels...

Post Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:26 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I never would have thought about angel fish. I'm so used to seeing them 1 or 2, maybe 3, in a tank. Lots and lots of angel fish would be extremely dramatic, IMO. What a great idea!
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Netzsche
"Old aquariests never die. They just begin to stink." mk
"So many fish; not enough outlets." mk

Post Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:50 am
ntxhuav_khang User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Any updates? Would love to see this humongous community tank. :)
ntxhuav khang (soua)

Post Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:11 am
Bob1 Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

How about native fish?

Return to Community Fish