Board index Fish Talk Community Fish Banded Bush Fish

Banded Bush Fish

Anabantids, characins, ciprinids, rainbows, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:45 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I am trying very hard to remain calm and somewhat adult-like. But it's really hard.

I FOUND MY Microctenopoma fasciolatum, OR BANDED CTENOPOMA OR BANDED BUSH FISH!!!!!!!!! Found them an aquabid and just have to find out if they're the blue ones like I want and if I can get them in m and f!

Patience is not one of my virtues and I'm going nuts waiting for a reply!

mk
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Netzsche
"Old aquariests never die. They just begin to stink." mk
"So many fish; not enough outlets." mk

Post Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:48 am
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Well... They're out of stock this AM and so I received a credit. Oh, well.

Still something to look forward to. I'll get them eventually. At least I know they're around and obtainable.

:( :( :(

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:34 pm
nkambae User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

Forest Lake Pets periodically has Microctenopoma fasciolatum as well as M. ansorgii and M. nanum. The fellow at Tropiquatics might be able to capture some for you too. Good luck.

stu
Who is John Galt?

Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:44 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Thanks. I have been checking the listings they've (Tropiquatics?) have been posting here. If I see anything I'm going to call them right away. Maybe I should give FLP a call... Nah. It could mean I'd have to drive up there and I'd rather not do that.

(My plants arrived today.) I didn't say anything!

Post Mon May 19, 2014 12:19 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Have found in stock and ordered my Bush Fish, called by them a banded ctenopoma. According to pic it's ctenopoma fasciolatum which is what I want. If it turns out to be ctenopoma ansorgii I just send them back or sell them. The most common name for C. faciolatum is Banded Bush Fish... So I guess Banded ctenopoma fits well.

Am pretty dogone excited! Another correct fish for the biotope!

Post Thu May 22, 2014 10:51 am
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Order being processed... Yippy! Skippy!

They were nice enough to acknowledge I asked for a male and female on my order, saying they would try to sex but the fish were small and they didn't know if they would be able. I just appreciate they read and acknowledged my wish and are doing their best and going the extra effort.

Pretty stoked. This is a 'fish' fish for me; an unusual, an exotic. I've had P. pulcher's before and bristlenose and tetras are pretty common... Put I've never had or seen a ctenopoma fasciolatum.

:D

mk

Post Fri May 23, 2014 11:20 am
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

My teeny-tiny Ctenopoma fasciolatums arrived, all safe and sound. They are SO SMALL! The better to enjoy them growing. :D At this size they are a very pale flesh color with slightly darker faint vertical stripes, and all eyes! I've put them in the 10g that was going to be my grow-out tank... that's only filled 2/3 full. These guys are notorious jumpers. There's a lid on the tank but I don't want to 'tank' any chances. (I didn't think it was THAT bad.)

The larger of the two, MAYBE an inch, tends to chase off the smaller one. But, the smaller one does not seem too upset about this and is seeming to calmly take it in stride. I am hoping I have a m/f (fingers x-ed) as they're conspecificly somewhat aggressive if of the same sex. Though they only grow to 3.5" so they should be able to loose the other in a 40g tank. The Pelvicachromis are doing fine in a 40g.

Their shape is very similar to a Pelvi, just with a fatter head and deeper body. They're not as cute as a Pelvi, put pretty damn cute. They also remind me of a longer Apistos.

This is what they're supposed to look like when they grow up:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... =0&ndsp=14

They are SO CUTE!!! I'll try and get some pics.

mk

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:19 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Got some HORRIBLE pics - they're in the video and photo thread.

Gotta smile. The littlest guy had eaten a whole freeze-dried bloodworm. A little tiny bit of the worm was stick out the fish's mouth. First try I wasn't able to get it. Had to go get the tweezers and try a second time. Tweezers worked like a charm and my little tiny banded bush fish no longer has a worm hanging out of his mouth. He really looked silly...

Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:52 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Little Tiny bushfish was getting the crap beat outta (prolly a) her by Less Tiny (prolly also girl) bushfish. I couldn't tell if Tiny was missing scales or ich so did the salt/temp thing. When nothing changed and I figured it was missing scales and Little Tiny was hiding in the filter all the time, she was scooped up and put in the biotope.

She's so damn small, SO SMALL, I can't find her. Bugs me.

Less Tiny is loving the 10g to herself. She's ready to go into the biotope but I'm going to wait and give Little Tiny some time to settle in.

Post Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Less Tiny is now Lesser Yet Tiny and is looking quite nice. She's got a personality and is fun to have around. She comes swimming to the front of the tank when she sees me coming and then up to the top of the water. I really like her looks. She's a neat looking fish. She can't be any bigger than? An inch?

Little Tiny is still tiny, not growing as robustly as Lesser Yet Tiny. But I can see that's she's grown. I think Little Tiny lags behind as Lesser Yet Tiny is the dominate one and Little Tiny keeps a low profile. She's less gregarious and hangs in the weeds; she's hard to find.

I really like these new (for me) fish and glad I got them. It's nice having something 'different' and liking it so well. The following is what Lesser Yet Tiny looks like:

http://www.hippocampus-bildarchiv.com/i ... nopoma.jpg

Not My Picture

Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:48 pm
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

I'm not 100% positive, but I *think* Lesser Yet Tiny, the bigger of the two fish, is getting a bit of blue on her/him! Her (him if truly turning blue) two sets of bottom fins on the front part of her body and her tail fin have a bluish tinge to them! :D Would be so neat if it's a male. Then I think I'd have a male and female; or a male and a scared immature male - which would be a bummer. If a pair, I'd not have to get any more.

I really really REALLY enjoy these fish. They're shaped so different than my usual 'torpedo'-like fish. Makes them very cool to me. And this particular one, as I've said, has such a neat personality. Fun to play with and talk to! :D

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:15 am
mke User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Yessireebob! Lessor Teeny Tiny is DEFINITELY bluing up in the fins! :) He's gonna be a good lookin' guy. Gonna make his momma proud!

Dang! Tried to get a pic of him but he won't cooperate. Silly thing.

Return to Community Fish