Board index Fish Talk Community Fish Raising banded gourami fry

Raising banded gourami fry

Anabantids, characins, ciprinids, rainbows, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:47 am
Chef Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I have a pair of banded gouramis that spawned for the first time today. I have Green Severum that spawn on a regular basis but I have no experience spawning or raising anabantoids. I am wondering if anyone here has any knowledge on this subject.

The male looked like he was building a bubble nest yesterday so I moved all the other fish in the tank besides the female. They spawned today while I was at work. I removed the female when I got home. It looks like most of the bubble nest fell apart in the (gentle) surface currents. The eggs are mostly floating on the surface of the water. Is this going to be a problem? In my severum tank I let the newly free swimming fry graze off of the micro organisms that live on a heavy algae growth that I don't clean. I also feed them pureed bloodworms for the first week and then switch to frozen baby brine shrimp. Will this work for gourami fry? I have never been able to make infusoria successfully.

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:24 am
born ready User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

Here is an excellent writeup on this species at Seriously Fish:

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/tr ... -fasciata/

I haven't kept this one, but SF verifies that this, like other Trichogaster species, lays eggs which sink. So if your nest broke up, I think any eggs would have all sunk right away. I believe the whole bubblenest routine is just to keep eggs near the surface, which may be the only place with sufficient oxygen in the small bodies of water these guys live in naturally. Eggs which fell to the bottom of a well oxygenated aquarium might hatch anyway. But if Dad let the nest fall apart, he is out of Dad mode and would likely to be happy to treat his fry as tiny live food so I would remove him and wait a day to see if any fry emerge. If not, put the female back and let her recondition and then let him have another try. A lot of fish don't get the parent thing done right the first time or three, but often improve quickly.

As far as feeding them. The microfauna in this mature tank are an excellent start. I use mostly microworms as a starter for fry a little to small for baby brine shrimp. Paramecia are much smaller still and easy to culture if you get a starter which I would be happy to give you if we could work that out.
Andy

Your tanks aren't too small. Your fish are too big.

Post Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:37 am
Chef Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I think I might actually have a pair of mislabeled thick lipped gouramis (Trichogaster Labiosa) rather than banded. The eggs are already hatching after 24 hours, which, along with them floating, is consistent with Labiosa but not Fasciata according to the Encyclopedia of Tropical Fishes by Herbert Axelrod. They could also be a hybrid of the two which is apparently not uncommon. The fry are tiny, not much bigger than pinhead size. Whether or not they are free swimming is a bit of an existential question. They can move around a bit. They are certainly more mobile than severum or kribensis fry (which is my previous breeding experience), but the male keeps gathering them up and spitting them back into the remnants of the bubble nest. I am going to spend tomorrow trying to figure out what I am going to feed them, I may be interested in paramecia starter. They are going to need something really small.

Post Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:30 pm
Chef Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Here are some pictures I took from the night they spawned. This was right after I removed the female:

gourami 05 by afsmps, on Flickr

gourami 03 by afsmps, on Flickr

gourami 04 by afsmps, on Flickr[/quote]

Post Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:45 pm
born ready User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

I'm believer in live food for small fry. It's fairly easy to get a culture of "infusoria" going, even if you don't have a starter. Google that and you will find 100 methods. Your green water is similar to that though. Paramecia, microworms and vinegar eels are even better choices, but you will need to get an initial culture.

Anabantid fry can't drown like the adults. They don't develop their labyrinth organ until later so can't/don't need to breathe air when very small. They DO need to have a warm, moist layer of air immediately above the tank, however during the stage when the labyrinth first begins to be used, so cover the tank tightly once they begin to grow.
Andy

Your tanks aren't too small. Your fish are too big.

Return to Community Fish